6mm ppc as a varmint round

n8ess

Any opinions on the 6mm ppc as a varmint round, what is the main difference between the 6mm ppc and the 6mm br.

Bees

Hi Bees ,

May i ask what are your requirements / as for varmints to be hunted and what kind of ranges you want to take these pests at????

This way we can give you a more informed advise!!!!! ;):P

All the best.................

RAY.................................... :D:o

The only difference between the two is that the BR has a slightly (only just slightly bigger case) which can hold that extra bit of powder, as for the 6ppc as a varminter!! its a fantastic little round, as accurate as they come, quiet when modded, relativly cheap to load for as they use less powder and the most important thing being that its the most accurate cartidge ever developed!! just look at Rays (varminter's)sucess with his new setup! Its a cracking little round, i was going for a 6ppc however i decided on the 6BR as it could be made deer legal that bit easier!

Thanks guys,

I am currently running a 223 but was considering a change to either 243 AI or 6ppc, I currently shoot about 2000 acres of mainly fox/rabbit but I also like doing some range work albeit in the field, I would like to do some deer stalking in the future but I am not sure of the best way forward.

I would also want to start home loading once I make the change. Is the 6ppc a deer legal round?

Thanks

Bees

Guest varmartin

Hi Bees, I currently load for a 6mm BR and .308, but would also go with a 6ppc any day of the weak.

The short answer is, case capacity is the main difference.

The ppc cannot be beat on accuracy out to 300 yards, but saying that ....Ray has dropped an awful lot of Varmints at distances way in excess of that.

The 6mm PPC is legendary for a reason......it rules the roost out to 300 yards.

The 6mm BR is legendary for another reason...... 300 to 1000 yards.

Go get a 6mm ppc if you dare ( they can be addictive ) :D ..........then get a 6mm BR or .308 and get some real long range action ;)

Varmartin is spot on, up to 300 yards you will find it very very hard to beat, I have just nailed a crow from my living room window with a 68 gr match bullet at just under 3400 fps. Over that then 6BR has a slight edge and is also better suited if you intend to use it to stalk deer. PPC only just gets through 1700 ft lbs and then only with Lapua Brass. 1 in 12 will allow heavier bullets better suited to deer, the 1 in 14 that I use is limited to 68 grains.

PPC is much preferable to 243AI in my book, quieter, takes about 29 grains, no recoil much so you see the impact. You wont see many impacts with the AI. I am sure you wont be dissappointed in PPC or 6BR. The 65 gr VMAX is my varmint bullet of choice but others here like the 58gr VMAX.

A

hi Martin,

Sounds like the 6ppc is what i am looking for, is it classed as a deer legal round? I had read quite a lot about the accuracy of this round but was always given the impression it was purely for range work?

Thanks

Bees

Guest varmartin

It certainly is deer legal, it just takes careful loading.......

Onehole will shed some light, he has one or two 6mm rifles ;)

Guest northernchris

I run my 6mmbr on 55gr Nosler Balistic tips its cracking setup for foxing,very rarely get an exit wound on charlie meaning the bullet is transfering 100% energy.It also blows crows up into many bits ;)

A debateable point, I use mine for smaller deer, carefull loading gets a 68 gr bullet to 3383fps, just over 1700ft lbs. Bullet kills well, every deer I have taken has dropped on the spot but you have little margin for error energy wise so I would not go any further than about 150 yards with it. A 1 in 12 twist will allow the use of an 85 grain soft tip bullet that will allow a bit more distance.

As an aside I saw a cheap PPC on Guntrader yesterday.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/Det...al+2&Filter[NewType][]=Rifle&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Bolt%20Action&Filter[Calibre][]=6mm%20PPC&Filter[Calibre][]=6m

Maybe thats what you had in mind, Norman Clarke smithed Shilen tubed Remmy 700. Barrel life is fair, 1500 top flight accuracy, another 1500 acceptable. 6BR has a life in excess of that, see the 6BR site but barrels are currently pretty cheap. The 270 neck in this one means the brass will want a light neck turn, again no major issue. Maybe it has brass with it, case life is 30 reloads plus per case.

Good luck with what you choose,

A

I run my 6mmbr on 55gr Nosler Balistic tips its cracking setup for foxing,very rarely get an exit wound on charlie meaning the bullet is transfering 100% energy.It also blows crows up into many bits ;)

Yet those 55gr NBTs dont perform as well as the VMAX in my PPC. Always get an exit with the 65gr. Ask Ian what a VMAX does to a 195 yard magpie!, all major parts went to different points of the compass after that last plate shoot. The 68 gr bullet though usually just blows feathers out and knocks a hole through, the crow I had tonight was only about 120 yards, no severe damage but he never twitched.

Are you now preferring the BR to your 22.250AI ?.

A

Guest northernchris

Geoff

You have seen the .22-250 AI perform @ good distances what do you think???

The Br is now my 300-350yrd rig (1-14 twist so limited to and far more accurate with lighter bullets) and the 250 is 350yrd+ setup.

Well the BR should out perform the AI accuracy wise but that group at 750 yards with the AI was simply something else. So I guess the AI is the weapon of choice but that little Cooper does handle very nicely.

For those of you not there, three rounds within 3 inches or so and a fourth about 4 inches away, this is at a measured 750 yards in very good conditions. Chris's AI certainly shoots and no mistake.

A

Yet those 55gr NBTs dont perform as well as the VMAX in my PPC. Always get an exit with the 65gr. Ask Ian what a VMAX does to a 195 yard magpie!, all major parts went to different points of the compass after that last plate shoot. The 68 gr bullet though usually just blows feathers out and knocks a hole through, the crow I had tonight was only about 120 yards, no severe damage but he never twitched.

Are you now preferring the BR to your 22.250AI ?.

A

Iknow what u mean i cracked a magpie with a 68g form my Ai & it looked like it had a hart atack!

65g vmax = magpie confeti:-)

Andy

Yes the Vmax are much more spatisfactory to shoot, maybe not quite as accurate as a match bullet but boy do they ever hit hard.

A

I have been shooting a custom 6PPC for the last five years and it is awsome to say the least! Shoots a 65 Vmax into one hole and at 3400 fps. Easy & cheap to reload, little recoil and quiet with a moderator. The rifle is so accurate that when I moved out here to Canada two years ago I brought it with me as I could not part with it. I find it difficult to get Vit N133 out here so I just got the next best thing which is H322, loaded 29 grains like what I did with the N133 & hey presto 3400 fps & sub half inch groups at 200 yards! haven't bothered with any more load development.

Downside - neck turning & fire forming cases.

Deer Legal - yes but you have to load em hot & some police departments think that they are not, even & lot of deer stalkers think that they are not so you have to educate them.

Would I have another built? No I would get a 6br for the above reasons.

Steve

Archived