.357 mag 158g rnfp,which primer?

527vamint

I'm getting lots of conflicting information via the Internet.

It's a underleaver rifle I'm using 20-100m

My books say to use Cci550 in most loads and cci500 on others. The info Im having off another forum is not to use the magnum 550 primers.

So what's best.

Im using red dot and about to use tightgroup.

I was using blue dot.

With the red and blue dot I have used 550,500 sp primers,cci 450,400 small rifle primers, and some old vihtavuori stainless small rifle primers.

I'm asking as I'm just about to stock up.

Cheers Andy

Standard small pistol primers (SPP) will be fine with Red Dot. Small pistol magnum primers (SPMP) would only be used with full-power slow-burning and difficult to ignite powder reloads, such as H110, W296, Lil'Gun and 2400. If they list magnum primers with a load, it's normally best to follow the advice, as it normally means the SPP doesn't consistently ignite the load, resulting in inconsistent pressure and velocities. The use of SPMP with light loads of fast powders is often advised against due to very rapid ignition and potential increase in peak pressure over standard SPPs.

The one Cal one book is snippets from the bullet and powder manufacturers data and has the test rifle listed the majority of the loads say to use cci 550 or 500 primers for magnum loads,as does my speer vol14 realoading book. Yes I have used small rifle primer as in cci400 and vihtavuori sp primers. All went bang and hit the paper with no pressure sighns. And no I don't don't alcohol whilst loading as I don't whilst driving, IT WAS A JOKE.

Some of the replies on pw told me not to use magnum primers, my book said different also the label on the side of my tub said to use magnum primers. That's why I asked on here to verify the matter, before I stocked up on primers, the cci 500 are looking best so far unless Im wrong

Some of the replies on pw told me not to use magnum primers, my book said different also the label on the side of my tub said to use magnum primers. That's why I asked on here to verify the matter, before I stocked up on primers, the cci 500 are looking best so far unless Im wrong

That is not quite true is it? You didn't like the answers on PW so argued the point, no issues with that!

I posted the link to the CCI website showing they didn't recommend you used the 550s so you came here and asked the same question.

Now you have the same replies here from different people.

Maybe try another forum for third time lucky?

Im still unsure about what to use,as I have mixed information .My book still says to use 550 mag primers and my bottle of tight group says to use magnum primers. So whats is right. I read your cci primer info thanks,but do I do as the primer manufacturer says or the powder manufacturers say. That's why I chose to ask on ukv. Copying snippets from another forum to make me look stupid is belittling in my book.

Archived