rebarrel tikka lsa55

Hi I got a opportunity to get a tikka lsa 55 in 243 at a good price and I was thinking of re barrelling it in .260 and replacing the original wooden stock, the only problem I got is atm is that I can't find a aftermarket stock something like a McMillan or some around that really

Is It worth getting it all be used for stalking and for long range out to 1000 yards

I dont now much about this rifle I cant find out much about it but what I found so far they say the action is great

All I'm after Is a bit of advice really on the rifle like can I get a stock for it and stuff

Cheers guys

Nicky,these earlier model Tikkas (1980's) were very well made rifles-lsa-?....the Target model 55 in short action (243,etc) came as the heavy barrel 'sporter',with a curved stock,weighing in around 4.1 kilos,5 and 10shot clip mags;(the 65 long action was around 4.5 kilo,some of either had cheek pieces...both had stippled stock coating for grip;the hunting rifle model 55 standard and delux (hunting rifles),came in at 3.3kilos (3shot clip mag);deluxe had a rosewood forend tip,and roll over cheek piece.

Very sound actions;as you are finding,aftermarket stocks are rare indeed-it wasn't much done back then,and the factory ones werre decent wood;probably a custom fit upgrade now; rebarrrel is no problem,but together cost starts to rise-you'd need big deer to justify,unless it's really shot out,and 260-a very competent cartridge- is a bit of a compromise for longer distance...(243 likewise,in standard twists).

I had a 308 custom barrel 55 sporter,a very solid 1/2 moa rifle.But too heavy for deer,and outclassed as a competitive 1000 yarder,as are all 308s these days in open competition.They do quite well in competitions limited to 308s!! 260 is better,but still a compromise... Just check on upgrade costs...against useage...action is OK/good for a factory donor.

gbal

The 55 action is pretty old now and although a good action is impossible to get spare mags for, is a bugger to bed as its got screws going both ways through the stock and aftermarket stocks are rare. You would be better finding a 595/590 Tikka for a build as there are stocks available and GMK still have spare mags for them. You could find spending a couple of hundred pounds on a more up to date donnar works out cheaper in the long run.

Cheers for the help guys I think I'll leave it due to the hassle in getting a stock I think that I'd be getting the Howa sorted out cause the 260 140 amax rounds wont fit in the mag and little things like that really with the lsa 55

Cheers for ur time guys

• 1 month later...

Archived