Remmington tactical

Evening all

Was in local rfd last week spyed this very short barel remmington enquired what it was remmington tactical in 223 1 in9 twist 16.5 " houge stock , thought to myself would make good platform for dedicated night vision/ truck gun,so anyone own /used one what sort velocity could you expect to squeeze out of it ,priced at 750 quid didn't seem bad to me ,should say out and out foxing rig 50/53 v max not sure best powder for such short rig thoughts please pros cons

Thanks in advance Lee

If it was a dedicated NV setup it go for .22-250

Flat shooting hard hitting.

I'd go with a Tikka to be fair, the Remington triggers are heavy and vague.

Tikka triggers are crisp and adjustable.

If you got a bit more cash you can pick up a super varmint which has a rail mounted, adjustable cheek weld (needed for most night vision setups)

My girlfriend has the rem tactical in 223 and it is a handy little rifle, the stock is a bit flexible, oh and it had a tendency to go off when she closed the bolt. Her brother bought an sps varmint which also goes off at inopportune moments. Neither come under the recall serial numbers so was less hassle just to replace the triggers. All is fine now. Buy a tikka and be happy. My own truck gun is a cz 527. A bit long really but has never gone of without me pulling the trigger!

Drum.

A 223 with 50g Vmax loaded to SAAMI spec at 3300fps from a 24 inch barrel might lose 200-250 fps from a 16.5 inch-estimated-it varies a bit-300fps max......let's say 3000 MV-that's over 1000ftlb,and 775 ft lb at 100y....how much do you need for a fox!! ( even the little 22 Hornet has 450 ish ft lb at 100....and the 204 32 vmax is 700 at 200y...)...If 775 ft lbs at 100y isn't efffective,then bullet selection or placement is way off.

Trajectory likewise-less than an inch-just zero it.

gbal

My girlfriend has the rem tactical in 223 and it is a handy little rifle, the stock is a bit flexible, oh and it had a tendency to go off when she closed the bolt. Her brother bought an sps varmint which also goes off at inopportune moments. Neither come under the recall serial numbers so was less hassle just to replace the triggers. All is fine now. Buy a tikka and be happy. My own truck gun is a cz 527. A bit long really but has never gone of without me pulling the trigger!

Drum.

Cricky Don't like sound of that having said that never had issue with mine vssf

Had 527 with set trigger before vssf a cracking little rifle

Here what your saying gbal

Would love tikka super big money for second rifle don't see many secondhand ones not sure I dare buy secondhand 22-250 that had been screw or any calibre now having seen a coulple rifles bore scoped and the last six inch of the barel looking like welders table it really is a difficult with out knowing the owner etc

As you say tikka super does seem to lend itself to been good nightvision platform with built in rail and comb adjustment ,never owned a tikka yet?

Cz in the classified now that would be spot on for a dedicated nz set up nice price so not tying to much money up in a rifle that doesn't get much use,would rather have a cz over a factory remington any day myself

+ one on the above. Even if it's a 1 in 12. Point and shoot out to 150 yards with 55 grain bullets. Ideal for night vision. 24 inch barrel might be a bit long but you have the option of cutting down to a more manageable length if needed. You wouldn't need to chop of that much either to end up with an overall package the same length as a Remy with a 16 inch barrel. The cz set trigger isn't everyone's cuppa but it gets better with use.

Drum.

Archived