New guy and 7x64

Scrumbag

Hello folks,

I'm mainly a deer stalker but also do a bit of target shooting, mainly with the BSRC at Bisley. (ALso grew up in where the things that grew best were lambs and pheasants so I can't resist whacking foxes when the chance comes)

Thought I'd stop by and say hello after being pointed this way by Cumbrian1 as we both like 7x64.

I shoot:

Brno Model 2 .22lr

CZ 527 American .223 Rem

7x64 Voere (Mauser type action)

9.3x62 FN Commercial

I'm really here to pick people's brains about getting a longer range load for the 7x64. Just put the Voere in a Boyd's Prairie HUnter and will change the scope to a Meopta 6-24x50 HD shortly

Voere%20in%20Boyds_zps1izwj8d2.jpg

Had some hints towards the 168 Berger VLDs but would love some load suggestions.

Looking forward to taking part folks.

Scrummy

I've just joined the 7x64 club. Haven't fired it yet,my local dealer had every type of ammo apart from 7x64! I wanted Seller & Bellot HPC, but I'm told they can't supply that in this country. :huh:

DL, welcome to the club. Is a great chambering and I've been very with mine on everything from munties to Devon red and small driven boar.

If you get a chance, I'd have a look at the 165gr Geco soft point. Found it to be very effective.

First stop for a long range load is to determine the twist in your barrel. This will define what weight of bullet that you can stabilise. If your barrel will stabilise the VLD then happy days give them a go likewise the 162 amax. you may be able to stabilise the 180 grain bullets I f you have a 1in9 twist although you may struggle to get the MV required to make it worth it. you'll have to try and see but the rate of twist will be the primary defining factor.

Cheers

Rich

DL, welcome to the club. Is a great chambering and I've been very with mine on everything from munties to Devon red and small driven boar.

If you get a chance, I'd have a look at the 165gr Geco soft point. Found it to be very effective.

I would like some of that ammo, however the local RFD states that he needs an order of several hundred rounds to meet the criteria set by RUAG.

I'm looking forward to getting started in this new foray of a bigger 7mm, and am glad to hear that it's been rewarding for others.

I would like some of that ammo, however the local RFD states that he needs an order of several hundred rounds to meet the criteria set by RUAG.

I'm looking forward to getting started in this new foray of a bigger 7mm, and am glad to hear that it's been rewarding for others.

Ah I see. Well, if I get North I can let you have some to try out.

7x64 is a great hunter and I think wil be ace on the hill.

First stop for a long range load is to determine the twist in your barrel. This will define what weight of bullet that you can stabilise. If your barrel will stabilise the VLD then happy days give them a go likewise the 162 amax. you may be able to stabilise the 180 grain bullets I f you have a 1in9 twist although you may struggle to get the MV required to make it worth it. you'll have to try and see but the rate of twist will be the primary defining factor.

Cheers

Rich

WB, my barrel I think is a relatively fast twist 1:8.5. I've been doing some reading on 280 Rem LR loads as their seems to be more material on that (and analogous to 7x64). The general concensus is that the 280/7x64 won't get enough MV for the 180gr so will start with the 165 VLDs and will check out the Amax's too. WIll be shooting the BSRC's LR day in October so will try and see what happens there.

ATB,

Scrummy

I Don't think so buddy. Not for most of the rounds you will shoot. Found mine not to be ammo fussy and either is probably "fast enough"

I recently bought some 175gn Hornadys, and expect rather good feet poundage from them. :D

Archived