Varget?

Redshift

Does anybody know when varget will be available again? In my part of the world ( essex) it's non existent .

Redshift

There are two supply side issues for many Hodgdon powders, especially VarGet. One is the Australian origin and the need to ship them across the Pacific. The sole shipping line that links Oz and the US also calls in at New Zealand and there are apparently issues over the total weight of explosives allowed on docksides or into ports, hence restricting tonnages and overall volumes.

Second, is the large and steadily increasing demand by the Northern Hemisphere shooting market for both factory ammunition and handloading propellants especially in the US. (Remember, factory ammo uses the same powders as we do, the only difference being that manufacturers test bulk lots and vary loads for each individual shipment as needed.) There are more shooters, and shooters are generally shooting more rounds in a year.

Given a mismatch between demand and supply, Hodgdon has restricted supplies of the four grades (H4895, H4350, H4831/4831sc and VarGet) in greatest demand to non-US customers and wherever possible is supply IMR in their stead. (There are some new IMR grades coming shortly, the 'Enduron' powders that may help here in addition to the older numbers such as 4895, 4064, 4350 and 4831.)

The rifle handloader's guide as to what comes from where and is therefore affected by shipping problems is:

All IMR bar IMR-8208 XBR are manufactured in Canada and supply is good especially as many Americans switch back to Hodgdon extruded products with an improving situation there.

All Hodgdon extruded (stick) powders + IMR-8208 XBR are made by ADI-Thales in Mulwala NSW Australia and the most popular grades are therefore short.

All Hodgdon 'spherical' models such as H335, BL-C(2), the new CFE223, H414 are made by the General Dynamics Corp's St. Marks Powder Co. factory in St. Marks Florida which used to be Olin Corp / Winchester and also supplies all Winchester marque powders, and most of those used in US military smallarms ammo. Generally, there is no problem with supplies, although I picked up an issue of the non-availability of H. L'il Gun for .22 Hornet on another forum.

Thanks for all the answers, I thought this might be the case with varget, rs52 was my next option, a few kind gents have messaged me with offers of part pots etc which I will take up, but I need a good supply of powder as I need to feed 2 6mmbr's 2 6mm dashers and 2 223 rem using heavy bullets. The 223rem is not a great problem as I've found a nice load using ramshot wild boar.

Regards

Redshift

Archived