shiny bolt

Whilst out today with my trusty browning A-bolt I was just about blinded when the sun struck my bolt and if reflected in my face. Its got pretty much a mirror finish. Its the only shiny part on my rifle and I have taken a dislike to it.

I would appreciate any suggestions on a way to prevent this before I take the sand paper/wire wool to it.

cheers

Dave

Guest wireviz

[You can get it jeweled mate a nice patter that is found on some more expensive rifles it don't cost much and you can do it your self with some Jewell paste and a dremel B)

Or more usefully buy a spray can of dry molykote ( dry graphite spray is same) and spray it all over, takes the shine off and makes it work like silk. definitely dont go at it with wire wool and carborundum paper, it will get in every where causing michief and make it a slack fit too.

Redfox

Guest rogern
Or more usefully buy a spray can of dry molykote ( dry graphite spray is same) and spray it all over, takes the shine off and makes it work like silk. definitely dont go at it with wire wool and carborundum paper, it will get in every where causing michief and make it a slack fit too.

Redfox

I've scoured the 'net' for this stuff with no luck, any idea where I can get some please?

Spot on Paul that will do nicely, I get mine at the local engineers merchants made by a firm called Orapi. It works great in the Ruger 10/22 as well, if you use oil as they are a "blow back action" it quickly collects powder residue and gums the works up. With the dry graphite spray in the action and magazine spindle, mine will shoot over a thousand rouns without stopping, only need to blow the mags out with compressed air now and then.:)

Redfox

Archived