reloading nickel cases 7mm rem mag

Guest sniper#1

Guest sniper#1

can anyone advise me.I bought some 175gr grand slam speer nitrex rounds for the right money,as they will not group in my friends 7mm sako.so ive tried them in my new remy 7mm sendero sf.they don,t group in that either,so I am using them to shoot in the rifle.my question is will the cases be worth keeping to reload as they are Nickle plated .I have just started reloading and have bought a set of redding comp dies,any advice most welcome cheers pete.

There have been a number of articles about nickel plated cases, they start to flake with re-sizing and can as Tiff says damage both bolt face and the chamber, they were originally factory loads for one time use, just that people like the shiney look.

Redfox

Funny that Remington sells nickel plated brass in bulk form for reloading with no caveat about one time use only. For some years I shot them in my 500M Metallic Silhouette rifle because the nickel resisted picking up grit. I still use them in some hunting calibers: 8x57, .222, .223, .308, 9.3x57 (reformed 8x57) and 30-06. I have some friends that use them in the Hornet. Of course, I use them in .357 Magnum revolver loads all the time. I have never had plating flake off or damage my firearms but I guess I was just lucky... or I wear my brass out before it gets that far! ~Andrew

Remington like any other manufacturer will sell what the public wants and if you run a line for factory ammo then your costs come down if you also make to sell components as well. They would like for you to buy new guns frequently too!!

Fact remains there is enough evidence to warrant care in using nickel coated cases repeatedly and in the UK there is no real need to use them at all.

I have in my engineering career used nickel plating for various purposes and stripping/flaking and galling is an issue with it, I would not use these cases in my rifles, handguns are a slightly different issue.

Redfox

Remington like any other manufacturer will sell what the public wants and if you run a line for factory ammo then your costs come down if you also make to sell components as well. They would like for you to buy new guns frequently too!!

Fact remains there is enough evidence to warrant care in using nickel coated cases repeatedly and in the UK there is no real need to use them at all.

I have in my engineering career used nickel plating for various purposes and stripping/flaking and galling is an issue with it, I would not use these cases in my rifles, handguns are a slightly different issue.

Redfox

No doubt Remington would sell me anything they thought I'd buy! The fact it that I bought 308 brass, the others kind of fell into my lap when I bought a large quantity of brass from a reloader who was giving up his permanent home for a motor home and a retirement of traveling. The .222 and .223 are Federal make, actually, as are the 308 I have about worn out. I have noted that if you have a rifle with a generous chamber and attempt to FL resize the brass you can get some ugly ridges in the plating at the head. For that reason, with the exception of the 8x57, I tend to neck size. No problem with the .222 and .223. Somewhere in my junk are two boxes of 20 ea, unprimed Federal Nickeled .222 brass marked "Match". I shall dig then out if I can.

In the meanwhile, I shall take your warning about nickeled brass under advisement and retire the stuff... I have other brass. The exception is for handguns. I am an avid handgunner. What is the different issue? Pressures? I ask because the handgun brass, by and large gets worked far harder than the rifle brass in the loading process due to the generally large tolerances of revolver chambers. What's your take? ~Andrew

I guess its because the handgun brass is nearly all straight walled and the chambering in handguns is shorter too. Whereas rifle cases are mostly bottleneck and get worked a bit harder. The problems I have seen is more to do with the niclkel either flaking and causing galling or picking up on the other surface ( in this case the chamber wall ) and then galling the nickel plate rubbing past it next time. I was lucky in that the last case I had was slide rails for large electronic modules ( 400lbs) and the nickel worked great the first couple of times then problems, I got round it by adding a Teflon coating to the other surface and the problem was fixed, but thats a non starter in a rifle chamber of course.

We also had problems with a nickel plate tube which had to slide into a steel recess in a hydraulic piece of equipment and under pressure the tube would expand and then contract enough to slide out when the pressure was removed ( very like a cartridge case) this started to gall up badly and we eventually used a polished stainless tube ( ferritic) which again fixed the issue.

A lot of hunters in extreme climates ( humid salty etc) use nickel cases as they dont deteriorate like plain brass, so quickly but these would of course normally be a one time use as they would not normally be picked up for reloading.

The main thing would to be vigilant in examining cases before resizing etc and throw any suspect ones.

Regards

Redfox

Interesting.

I load quite a bit of nickeled handgun cases: 38 S&W, 38 Special. 357 Magnum, 357 Maximum, and .44 magnum (tho less in nickel with the latter) and have always wondered at the ability of the nickel to stay in place under such heavy resizing. Carbide resizing dies usually like to size to the smallest common denominator so the brass usually gets worked pretty heavily in resizing. I do appreciate it's ability to resist embedding of grit and dust -two conditions I find in the field here quite often.

I have no further experience with nickel plating other than in revolvers, where the only gremlin to plating loss has been solvents. Hoppes #9 has flaked the plating off of many fine collectible guns and there are warnings as such on the bottle. With cartridges I have yet to notice any material flaking off. I will remain vigilant. Thanks.~Andrew

Guest sniper#1

Wow! Glad I asked the question.I think on all your advise I,ll just shoot the rifle in with the ammo and scrap the cases,I,ve got some brand new lapua brass and will reload with that.

Just a note(I picked up the 7mm mag today from the gunsmith after having a muzzle break made and reflex mag mod supplied,it,s definately exciting to shoot with the M/B fitted with very little recoil felt but the biggest surprise to me was the sound mod,I just can not believe how quite it is and how much its reduced the felt recoil,can,t wait to get some loads run up and shoot it again,Thanks for all your advise Pete

Wow! Glad I asked the question.I think on all your advise I,ll just shoot the rifle in with the ammo and scrap the cases,I,ve got some brand new lapua brass and will reload with that.

Just a note(I picked up the 7mm mag today from the gunsmith after having a muzzle break made and reflex mag mod supplied,it,s definately exciting to shoot with the M/B fitted with very little recoil felt but the biggest surprise to me was the sound mod,I just can not believe how quite it is and how much its reduced the felt recoil,can,t wait to get some loads run up and shoot it again,Thanks for all your advise Pete

Pete,

Glad you got your rifle at last - what happened to the 'I like to hear the boom of a rifle...' ;) . I told you once you had the sound mod on you wouldn't go back shooting without :)

Guest sniper#1

Pete,

Glad you got your rifle at last - what happened to the 'I like to hear the boom of a rifle...' :P . I told you once you had the sound mod on you wouldn't go back shooting without ;)

Ah well I did,nt say I won,t be shooting it witjout the break it sounds awsome mate just threw me whe n i tried the sound mod.what a piece of kit.see ya soon pete

Archived