Rooks,wind and Exbal

6mmBR

Well I've been itching to get out to try the pocket PC and Exbal.

My wife had taken a horse to a show this morning so I thought I'd pop out. I phoned one of the farmers I shot on his land to checkit was ok for a drive around.

Well he was chuffed, he said I'm glad you called I've just planted some maize and the bloody rooks are pulling up the sprouting plants.

No further invite was required I was on my way :D

When I got there the field was covered with the black buggers. I pinged one with the Leica which showed 184 yards and the wind meter showed an 8 mph wind from 4 o'clock.

I plumbed the details into Exbal which came back

Elevation -2.5" drop sight correction 1.25 MOA

Wind 1.8" sight correction 1 MOA

I dialed them into the scope, lined up on the rook and squeezed the trigger.

Thock a direct hit in a shower of earth and feathers, 1 nil to Exbal.

DSCF0668.jpg

I managed another at 161 yards with the same result.

The rooks then legged it to safer pastures.

A good start with Exbal, its real test will come on the long range bunnies :wub:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Cracking shooting dude, never try Exbal but after all the recent posts with reference to it may give it a go at some point in the not too distance future.

What calibre is the RPA ?

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve, my RPA is in 6mmBR its my favourite long range vermin rifle.

I load her with 30gn Vit N135 with an 87 Vmax which pushes this bullet to 2900fps.

It is such a mild mannered cartridge you can see all your impacts, which are spectacular at times when that 87 Vmax hits home.

Cheers

Dave

Nice going dave, now you know those rooks are the farmers friend :wub: , glad to see I am not the omly one who likes to shoot the farmers friend.

This pocket pc thing has me interested never though about it before, what pocket pc did you buy? I have exbal on the computer and usually just write out all the details on a sheet and keep it in with the rangefinder, its an ok system but takes a while and when dealing with maggies the buggers dont sit long, by the time everything worked out they have buggered off!!!!!!!!I take it you just punch in the range, wind speed, wind value and it just comes back with the sight adjusments, that would be bloody handy. I keep my data in 25 yard details but when you start to get out there 400/500 yards if something is at say 460 yards the difference between 450 and 475 yards is loads and you have to sorta think on the trot and take a guess, this pocket pc thing would solve that too!!!!!! gots to get me one of them. Got out yesterday myslef had to get up at 4.30 am as I had to work later on in the day nailed a couple of maggies and missed a rabbit at 430 yards, I was spot on for windage but it just landed at his feet :D

Hi Craigyboy yes these farmers friends do a wonderful job of pulling up sprouting maize :wub:

I bought a Hewlet Packard HP114 pocket PC on that famous sight it was new in the box but it had been opened for £99.

Yes once you store the calibers on file in the pc, you just recall caliber and bullet, then press target engagement fill in range wind and incline if any , press calculate and up comes you target corrections.

Will be better for static bunnies rather than fidgetty magpies I will admit.

Cheers

Dave

Glad you've got that loading done, looking forward to having a look at this rifle of yours.

Yes your right the old wood pigeon does explode in a pretty spectacular way :wub:

Lets hope we can christen this BR of yours next week.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the info dave, just went on ebay and bought an ipaq 214 and exbal from perry systems for it. Cant wait to play with it now, bit of a techno fob but hopefully I will manage with it. On the note of exploding pigeons I dont think there is a sight quite as explosive as a pigeon hit with the rifle, the feathers linger in the air for ages after.

Heres one I took the arse off a while back

STP60978.jpg

is the exbel that you use on your computer the same one you use on your hand held ?? do you just run a lead from your main puter to the hand held to transfer the info over ??

I think that you have to have seperate version for the home pc and the pocket pc due to different operating systems on the units, I have exbal for the pc but have ordered it in the pocket pc version as well, we will see how it goes.

Sorry Craigyboy, got to agree with you on the pigeon front, probably my favourite target.

You don't get that cloud of feathers with a crow.

Cheers

Dave

With Exbal you can print charts, but to have it on pocket pc you can work out any firing solution on the spot without having to carry reams of paper with you.

It's just more convienient.

Cheers

Dave

With Exbal you can print charts, but to have it on pocket pc you can work out any firing solution on the spot without having to carry reams of paper with you.

It's just more convienient.

Cheers

Dave

So no need for the A4 folder :);):lol:;)

Look forward to the post Dave after your venture with long range rabbits v Exbal i have no doubt you will make good use of it, any of you lads or lasses out there thinking about it go for it afterall it got me my personal best long shot normaly i wouldnt even think about shooting at those ranges but now using Exbal the confidence has increased in takeing longer range shots

well shot ;) nice to hit it with the first shot, i shot one last week at 238yrds with my little .204 i just aimed for its neck for the drop and gave it 1" to the right ;) just seen a shower of feathers ..loved it

The puff of feathers is quite satisfying isn't it.

You should try dialing in your corrections first time hits are more acheivable than Kentucky windage and elevation, especially when the ranges stretch beyond 250yds.

Its simple once you get the hang of it.

Cheers

Dave

I agree with dave, try dialing in for long range, once you get past 300 yards its vital, dont underestimate the little .204 either, I had a .204 ruger and it was great and now I run a tac20 and 40g v-max, I havent broken 500 yards yet but have been painfully close, 440 yard magpie is th farthest yet, I would say judgeing by the targets my tac20 is good for 600 yards in good conditions in my hands anyhow, just takes time and alot of rounds on paper working out drops and ability.

Dave, got exbal up and running!!!

Cant wait to get out and give it a try,,,,

I would like to thank tulky uk and jayfoxing for getting me sorted,,,,

As they say!!! Whatch this space????

All the best, Darrel

It's a hamdy device better than carting round bits of A4. Also you can change inputs to suit.

I thiunk its going to be more flexible than plain range charts.

Good luck Darrel and let us know how you get on/

Dave

Archived