Finally my first S1 rifle- Steyr Aug

Adamdavi3s

So it took me ages to get the requisite range time, then ages to sort my ticket out due to a baby and a house move, then ages to get around to sorting myself out.

Totally worth it though in my opinion, this is intended to be my 'fun-gun' to shoot when I just want some range time.

It's had a lovely right hand lever conversion (I know Mr Bradley has seen this) and I've finished it with a wildcat evolution over barrel and a hawke-sidewinder 6-24 that I had spare.

I though the scope would make it top heavy but actually it sits really nicely, I figured as I'm not going to be anywhere near any 3-gun comps it would do nicely

post-14082-0-53656500-1436562812_thumb.jpg

Adam,the Aug is a fine rifle. If yours has not had a Trigger Tamer fittted,consider that-the standard trigger will never be great,but it can be lightened and so improved.

Do you have any photos of the right side cocking handle fitted-again the standard left one can be improved by a somewhat different handle,and is actually qiuite slick,if a bit heavy to pull,but I'd be interested in the design etc of an optional extra right pull .

It won't ever be a precision competition contender,but with a Burris laser scope,it's pretty good on fig 11s at least to 600y,with reasonable ammo-even some of the cheaper russian stuff,and moderated/braked off a bipod (oops Mark,make that a tripod) as fast as any,if that is your thing.

gbal

I'll sort out some photos later on :-)

It does come with the trigger tamer which is nice, the right hand lever is great, it looks very much like the ones on the ARs but I'll sort some photos.

The left hand lever does have the additional bit fitted but I'll probably take this off.

I've got a savage LRP in 6.5creedmoor on order which will be for serious target shooting, this is more for having some fun and not costing the earth!! When it popped up for sale it appealed as its something different to fill the .223 slot :-)

The only thing I would like is the ratworx rail which replaces the handle, but they don't export :-(

Adam thanks-in anticipation!

Yes,US 'extras' are not easy to come by-ITAR and small market,I imagine-some kind of picatu=inny rail that allowed the fold handle,and bipod etc options would be nice-very rare though! NOt sure it needs much else beyond the goodies you have.

Creedmore should be a different animal in precision terms. I have similar options...they are just different,and I am open as to which of a .2 100y group, 1 inch 300y group,5 inch 1000y group...or fast offhand fig 11s at 650y is the more challenging(just as examples-add in 'snaps' etc as per your inclination)

......or indeed if it matters!

gbal

Yep, I've seen some of the rails here in the UK but they must have been pre-ITAR of course ;-)

I might be able to get something made up which does the job.

But no at the moment it's completely spot on and should be a lot of fun.

Oh I don't doubt the creedmoor, my local RFD has one and talked me into it over going for a .308, having seen what he can produce I can't wait to get my hands on it!

I agree about different challenges, that's why I have a broad spectrum on my S1, so I can have different things to shoot depending on what I am in the mood for, much like most people on here I guess! Our club runs a range of great competitions as well where the focus really is on everyone having fun which is nice.

Anyway, enough gabbing! Here are the charging handles (both of which work of course) if you action the left hand lever the right one also moves, but using the right lever doesn't move the left one.

You can still use the left to 'hold open' as normal (the temptation to do the HK 'slap' is hard to resist)

post-14082-0-13870500-1436637224_thumb.jpg

post-14082-0-36821600-1436637333_thumb.jpg

Archived