The difference good gear makes......

foxyloxy

Just thought I would share this wee story with some of the re-loaders with less experience..

Cut a long story short, I set out this evening to confirm for the first time, the COL of the 140 gr AMax in my 260 ackley. The fella I bought the gun off had told me that the rounds must be seated at 2.800 COAL - i.e. in the lands to achieve best accuracy. This was giving 2.200 COL to ogive. This is what i have been loading my rounds at up till now. So far so good.

Spud kindly made me a modified case from one that i had neck sized on the lee dies that came with the gun. On attempting to get the first COL reading, the case felt spongy or sticky going in the chamber & the measurements I got reflected this :-

All over the shop basically.

During the week I treated myself to some "good" dies - a Redding Type S match set, so I thought id try running the modified case through the FL die to see if that cured the problem. off course the neck now was too tight for the bullet to slide in and out, so I gave the inside of the neck a quick run with the Dremmel - problem cured.

Inserting the case in the chamber now felt perfect straight off & the measurements below show the massive difference:-

Not sure if it was the Redding dies that cured it or just the FL sizing, but it feels good when things work out. No more neck sizing for me.

Archived