Our First Cubs This Year.

Jay Foxing

Hi all,

Thought i'd share last nights outing with you, so here it go's.

The normal discussions before the nights foray start with Foxing2nite telling me we have some new ground to check out but unfortunately Andy can't join us as he is away. We make the decision to set out at 9.30 so we can call in on a regular farm to tell the farmer we will be round later on that night.

After a friendly chat with the farmer and some crow shooting secured for the weekend we head off to the new ground.

Pull up on the yard quick chat with the landowner then were off down the fields just as the light starts to fail.

Squeaking as we walk, nothing shows for the first two fields. Over the rise in the third field, lamping down towards a small spiny a pair of eyes reflect back brightly. With some lip squeaks the eyes bobbing closer, its a cub. Darrel takes aim and Thwack! its down, couple more squeaks and another's bobbing up at us. Thwack! it go's down. Walking towards the two cubs we catch the glimpse of another set of eyes, stop and squeak time again. It bobs up towards us followed by the vixen, Thwack! down the cub go's. A quick reload and down with the vixen, still another pair of eyes in the back ground. With a couple more squeaks this one's in the bag too.

DSC00154.jpg

Darrel shot well, having to single feed the rounds into the rifle having failed to load the mag when we arrived. The shots all were slightly down hill form 80 to 120 yds out, off sticks, and all within 5 minutes of each other. Well done that man.

A quick celebratory cigarette along with a postmortem of the event and we move, nothing else shows so we leave for the farm we called in at earlier.

Parking the truck on the yard, gear out at the ready we walk slowly back up the drive towards some fields on the other side of the farm. We had planned out the rote for this place as we have done so many times before. As we shine ether side of the drive we spot the unmistakable reflection of a fox, action stations. Darrel onto the fence post to steady him self, a tricky shot as the fox will not come from behind a fence that's protecting a lone tree in the centre of the field. His aim is true and down it go's, a vixen. Shinning round we spot a cub, joining its mother in the nights tally. Another, but it heads away from us out of sight back towards its home. We follow slowly, there it is and its in the bag. Seeing another by the earth Darrel adds it to the tally. I'm certain i saw another, so we squeak but nothing shows.

DSC00155.jpg

We decide to do the rounds and return before we head for home. Following our rote round a dog fox is spotted trotting across us about 180 yds out. Quick call and he's coming at us like a train with no brakes. I shout and its still not stopping, so i call out with a deeper tone. The fox spins on the spot and is away at full speed, never see a fox do that before as they normally put the brakes on and give you that split second to get the shot off.

So after a chat about this foxes strange behavior we head back to catch up with the cub i was sure i saw back at the earth. Sure enough its back out of hiding and rounds the nights tally off to 8 cubs and 2 vixens.

DSC00156.jpg

With 2 happy farmers and 2 very happy foxers we head home, a very productive pest control operation.

I know it went on a bit, so thanks for reading.

Jay.

I am amazed the foxes dare to show themselves over there lads - Ra Ra Ra :blink::rolleyes:

Good write up jay and a very good nights fox control,goes to show what a good team can do in the right place

Archived