Shooting moving targets with a rifle

JohnGalway

Morning all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, please move it if there's a better spot :lol:

Since there are now cattle on my rabbit permission and it's dark too late for me to bother with the foxes I need to throw money away some other way. Last night I was on an American forum, and I saw a post asking how people learned to shoot targets that were on the run. I have a lot of permission that would be very safe for this :yes: Wilderness with backdrops all over the shop. Now, they Yanks were talking about rolling tyres down a hill and shooting through them :blink: and putting paper targets on rails and sending them off downhill as well. This is well and good if there are a few people doing at it, but billy no mates here :D will be doing it on his lonesome. Besides the fact I won't shoot at a ###### tyre and how would I know it passed through the middle anyway!

So, I Googled. I saw one great looking automatic set up, an unfortunately man shaped target on a moveable clothes line type affair. Two problems, I don't shoot at or want to shoot at people and it cost well in excess of $1,000. No thanks. Second thing I saw was an air rifle set up made by Gamo. It's a target on rails type doohicky (technical term). Four speeds I think and targets like rabbit, squirrel and deer. The deer and rabbit idea I believe are ment to simulate centrefire rifle shooting at distance with an air rifle as the targets are small. Problem number one, I don't got an air rifle.

I may end up getting the Gamo one anyway and using my .22lr. Again and to be boringly repetitive it will only be done in safe areas of which there are many here, the walkers don't even get to where I go in a lot of places. But, if anyone here knows of any other gizmo, thing-a-ma-bob, contraption or technique to become better at this type of shooting then please let me know :lol:

I can already do it with shotguns before anyone suggests that :D

All the best,

John

A bit of brainstorming here so this is not fully thought through :blink:

How about a zip wire set up. You known the adventure playgroung pulley on a tight rope thing.

If you have a hill and just hang a metal or other (with weight) disc target the size you want to the pulley. Maybe set some sort of electro magnet by 12 volt car battery and just break the circuit for go. This will keep the weight down and make it portable. Attach a thin string line to the sliding down bit for retrieval and you only need access to the top end to avoid all walking and little shooting.

It could easily be made to work and have varying speeds with the angle and weight of target.

In fact I might be tempted to make one myself :lol:

I know its not excactly what you want,but some mates and i went to poland boar bashin last year, we went for the rollin tyre option,we filled the hole with a piece of card with a cross on, only prob was you dont know if your in front or behind :rolleyes: good fun,a 4x4 big help taking the tyres back up the hill.

NELL

Cheap radio controlled car with balloon attached on 6ft string.

Add a bit of weight to the balloon by adding a cup full of water (it doesnt bounce as much as it passes over the ground) and find a flattish surface to drive it across.

Works a treat, but make sure you have a good backstop :rolleyes:

At the moment the most realistic suggestions I've had from various sites is a double DIY pigeon magnet type affair :) Set so the, probably cardboard backed targets will go from point A to point B. It's a start ;) I have to say I am Billy no mates at the moment when it would come to this project lol, I have a few hunting buddies but they'd think me daft "wasting ammo" ;) and would have none of it. Also about the terrain, seriously, there's nothing for RC driving over sadly, save for one spot of common land which, well, is full of cattle and walkers at the moment...

Keep the thinking hats on please folks :) The zip line is an interesting suggestion.

I also have a magazine article being posted to me from Canada at the moment from a sound guy :) It was published the day before I asked this question, how's that for timing lol, obviously not seen it yet but it should be interesting :)

Thanks for putting time and thoughts into this by the way :)

• 2 weeks later...

Now thought about this last year but never got round to making it. You need one kids bike, chop the frame in half and mount it onto two seperate stands. Remove the tyres and after putting the stands 100 yards apart you thread washing line around the rims of the wheels and somehow attach a thin steel plate to the wire. To move it you either get someone to peddle or you can get a small 12v motor to run it by simply putting a bike kog (gear) onto the motor and attaching the two together with the bike chain. Would work in a straight line and it would be about the same speed as a moving animal. :rolleyes:

Ads

Archived