http://dorkingrifleclub.com/

Took delivery of my Straight pull Garand last week and took it to the range yesterday.

155g sierra with 45g N140 and no hard extractions although velocity was low at 2550 fps . Probably try 46g next batch .

Scroll past pics until you get to video clips.

Ignore the bald fat bloke and look at rifle ☺

Andy

Looks great ,sad that I have picked mine up on Thursday but due to me going on hols won't get to shoot it for a couple of weeks yet!! I used to have a FAl in 308 and initially primary extraction was a pest but a small base body die cured it . I have ordered another in 30/06 to help extraction on hotter loads but it looks like you are doing fine without.

I think I am going to love this rifle !!!!

Looks great ,sad that I have picked mine up on Thursday but due to me going on hols won't get to shoot it for a couple of weeks yet!! I used to have a FAl in 308 and initially primary extraction was a pest but a small base body die cured it . I have ordered another in 30/06 to help extraction on hotter loads but it looks like you are doing fine without.

I think I am going to love this rifle !!!!

1st impressions are good albeit with a lightish load. The 'ting' is quite addictive. Another member had his there and tried 150g privi ammo and it was very hard extractions, to the point of being unusable.

How does a small base die help ? Doesn't the case get fireformed to chamber anyway ?

I am going to increase loads as it gets run in to try and get near the 2800ish it was rated for.

Very pleased with rear sight . Very positive sight picture and adjustments I may treat myself to a national match one but we'll see.

My friend has managed to source some 5 rd en bloc clips which are useful for the comps at our club which are 10 rd stages.

Im going to butcher an 8 rd one using his as a template as brownells wont ship 5 rd ones from states. At £1.50 for a clip I'll risk it

1st impressions are good albeit with a lightish load. The 'ting' is quite addictive. Another member had his there and tried 150g privi ammo and it was very hard extractions, to the point of being unusable.

How does a small base die help ? Doesn't the case get fireformed to chamber anyway ?

I am going to increase loads as it gets run in to try and get near the 2800ish it was rated for.

Very pleased with rear sight . Very positive sight picture and adjustments I may treat myself to a national match one but we'll see.

My friend has managed to source some 5 rd en bloc clips which are useful for the comps at our club which are 10 rd stages.

Im going to butcher an 8 rd one using his as a template as brownells wont ship 5 rd ones from states. At £1.50 for a clip I'll risk it

Brownells won't ship anything from the States!

In my experience it has the effect of seemingly sizing the base diameter of the case to the point that it assists admirably with primary extraction. I have used it to help reliable extraction in 223 and 308 straight pull rifles. Gone to the RCBS small base die set for the M1.

US NRA Highpower is shot in 10rd strings, and they specifically load and shoot 2+8 in Service class to this day, coz that's how they did it with Garands.

There's some sort of 2rd gizmo you can buy/find/make. I'm not familiar with it, but they're out there.

This may help

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-290739.html

US NRA Highpower is shot in 10rd strings, and they specifically load and shoot 2+8 in Service class to this day, coz that's how they did it with Garands.

There's some sort of 2rd gizmo you can buy/find/make. I'm not familiar with it, but they're out there.

This may help

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-290739.html

Thanks for link there are 5rd 2rd and a single round 'sled' type thing available , but not here.

Thanks

Andy

Archived