308 extreme range load

joshmartin8

As i still haven't got round to purchasing the new 6.5 yet i thought i would experiment with some new bullets that a cloase friend recommended to me, The Berger 185 Juggernaut.

I am getting to know my 308 AI AE MK111 now and its a bit of a 'prostitute' and goes well with everything so new it would be accurate and at all velocities, wanting to run these fairly hot i decided to skip most of the starting charges and go from avrg-hot,

i started getting slight ejector marks on the brass but kept going up .2grn more of a research on how .2 effected the brass, just slightly more brass flow then going up one more step by .2 the brass was taking a hammering so that was my limit....

it just so happened the first charge weight where i started seeing very slight ejector marks was the most accurate producing a ragged 30cal hole.

with this in mind i was happy as i knew the brass could handle it and wasn't taking to much of a hammering. I went home and loaded up a hand full of that charge and went out with the chrono and to do some further out testing,

I was very shocked,

group one at 100 was again very tight and velocities were coming out at 2740-2750 fps......this out of a 24inch barrel and a 185grn projectile was very impressive. they are loaded 10'' off the lands so were very long indeed,which might explain how i got away with such velocity with only very slight ejector marks on a few cases,most are fine.

I stepped out to 200 yards and this followed after a 4shot group

11198611_10205448328600934_244341094_n_z

then i went out to 316yards and fired 5 shots and this followed--

11195566_10205448330320977_2129169000_n_

I'm now now over the moon with these juggernaughts and can't wait to try them at extended ranges,

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity what is the final load you settled on?

settled on 46g of n150, here is a link to the thread i got going on them as well, http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/29172-new-long-range-308-bullet-to-try/

Archived