new bullet for the AI(65Gvmax)

skany

tried out some 65G vmax out of the 243AI due to the price of Nolser 70g BT being stupidly high!

Was rewarded with 2 groups in the .1's so well pleased there!

I need to get em chroned but im sure they are moving(45.5gof 150)

I shot a mixied bunny that was hopping around the target are to do it a favor & blimmy!what a mess!

I found a bullet for the 243 that does more damage then my 22-250 at last

everything ive shot so far seems to be much less damaged compired to the 52g Amaxs out of the 22-250 untill this poor bunny!

next on the hit list is charlie & hopefully some crows on friday!

Andy

Good luck. Those V maxs are good bullets. My 6mmBR just loves the 87gn flavour :D

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

I have some 87's to load up at some point & spoke to the shop today as the 75g vmax i ordered have came in at last so i have a few to try!

altho im not sure if the 87's will stablize in my 1-12 twist!

ANdy

Could be borderline in that twist? They have a great B.C of .400

They'll perform better than the 65's once you get beyond 300yds as they'll hold they're velocity better.

They also are very explosive even out of my BR at 2900fps, the Ackley should push these 3200+

Cheers

Dave

Could be borderline in that twist? They have a great B.C of .400

They'll perform better than the 65's once you get beyond 300yds as they'll hold they're velocity better.

They also are very explosive even out of my BR at 2900fps, the Ackley should push these 3200+

Cheers

Dave

I have found loads for 6mmai rems kicking them out of a 1-12 at 3600 & i imagine that would be a fair long range round!

I like the 65g's at 3800+ as they will still have less drop out past 400yds but not as good in the wind but not much in it!

tho if u have exball dialed in corectly i dont spose it matters ether way!

ive been luck so far as everything iv tried shoots!(i love this rifle :rolleyes: )

Andy

Would of thought that the velocity with the 243 ackley , even with the 1 in 12 twist , that you should not have a problem with the 87 v-max!!!! :rolleyes:

I was running the 105 a-max at 3150 with great accuracy in a 26 inch 1 in 9 twist border!!! :D :D

All the best.......................

RAY...................................... :D;)

Would of thought that the velocity with the 243 ackley , even with the 1 in 12 twist , that you should not have a problem with the 87 v-max!!!! :rolleyes:

I was running the 105 a-max at 3150 with great accuracy in a 26 inch 1 in 9 twist border!!! :D :D

RAY...................................... :D;)

Thats a fair bit of speed from the big bullets :-O

ill prob try em out on my day off on friday so ill post the results!

Andy

I find that the Vmax gives better consistancy than Nozler in the 6mm range , they definately open quicker, I have shot all diferent wieghts over the years in various 243 rifles and have settled to use 58grners , flat as a witches tit , hit like a sledge hammer and just blow the that which promotes growth and vigour out of what they hit :D .

If you could use them in the AI I bet they would sing along ,would be great for anything out to 500yrds :P

I find that the Vmax gives better consistancy than Nozler in the 6mm range , they definately open quicker, I have shot all diferent wieghts over the years in various 243 rifles and have settled to use 58grners , flat as a witches tit , hit like a sledge hammer and just blow the that which promotes growth and vigour out of what they hit :lol: .

If you could use them in the AI I bet they would sing along ,would be great for anything out to 500yrds :P

I like the hornady stuff after using Amax's out of hte 22-250 as these ripped charlie a new one & shreaded bugs big style!

But ive nver seen carnage like the poor little bunny i shot sunday!! :blink::D

I dont want to go lighter then the 65 as the bc's will be gitting a bit on the low side down there :blush:

everything ive fired out of this rifle is as flat as a pancake anyhows its great:-)

58gs could seriosley damage my barrel life to :P

not a fan of the 70g nosler tho or the price!

Andy

I use 65gr Vmax in a 1 in 14 twist, get great results with it. As someone else said they are definatly more destrutive than NBTS. Probably got thinner jackets. Mind you dead is dead and the NBTS certainly kill OK although mine did not like 70 grainers.

A 55gr NBT from a 22.250 placed 1" above a big rabbits tail when sitting and facing directly away from you is quiet an eye opener. The 6mm 65gr simply chops them in half nearly but the NBT splits them lengthwise.

A

I will second all said about the 6mm 65gnVMax. It does 3400+ out of my 23' 1:9 barrell in 6mmBR and groups in the .2s all day with 33gn N135. And, boy does it blow them up! It is a fantastic bullet and my standard load for varmints (although in that speed it does 1765ftlbs, so it is theoretically deer legal!).

I use also the 70gnBlitzkings, which are as accurate and even more so at times, and if you hit the bunny on the shoulder, don't even bother go looking...you won't find much. To my mind, the cost of the Noslers when compared with the Blitzkings, is prohibitive and seeing what the Sierras can do, I struggle to imagine how Noslers would improve in that performance. Shot a bunny at 296 yards with a Sierra and all was left was a rag... Let alone that I aimed just some 6 inches above it at that distance.

the 87gn VMax is even more accurate and I would suspect that it would behave better at long ranges. Have taken stuff out to 300 yds with it and it followed the path exactly as predicted by Sierra Infinity. That said, anything made by Hornady and weighing 87gn is performing equally well in my rifle.

Best wishes,

Finman

• 2 weeks later...
Would of thought that the velocity with the 243 ackley , even with the 1 in 12 twist , that you should not have a problem with the 87 v-max!!!! :)

I was running the 105 a-max at 3150 with great accuracy in a 26 inch 1 in 9 twist border!!! :lol:;)

RAY...................................... ;) ;)

Well ray u were correct mate they do work

but its my worse measured group out of this rifle at just over .3" for 5 shots!

had abit of a blustery 5-10mph wind from 2oc mind which didnt help mind

just need to get it all chronoed now:-0

Andy

Archived