Torque conundrum

Dr.T.

I've been scratching my head about this one...

Does anyone know why, when I shoot my RIGHT twist rifle, does the rifle seem to rotate CLOCKWISE (the left edge of the fore end lifts out of the front rest)? I assume this is due to torque induced by the spinning bullet, but wouldn't you expect the rifle to twist the other way (Newton's 3rd law and all that)?

This may well be down to poor front rest technique (or a poorer understanding of physics), but has anyone else noticed this/ have any idea why?

Cheers!

I would presume that as the bullet is going down the barrel and is imparting a force in a clockwise direction then the left hand side of your stock will lift because the rifle is also rotating to the right/clockwise in tandem with the bullet. Any physicists amongst this site may provide a better answer.

• 3 weeks later...

it is likely because as the bullet is travelling along the barrel the lands are gripping it and as it is a right twist, the bullet is effectively pulling on the lands and trying to drag the barrel after it, hence in the same direction.

newtons law only basically applies to recoil as the force on the bullet is in a linear direction as a result of a push force, not a pull force as in the case of the bullet against the lands.

Archived