RPA 243ai

25 yards?

A fast twist is usually needed for 105 g in 243,and that fast twist barrel will give potentially considerably more range than say 90g,in standard twist. The AI 's 150 fps won't in itself add that much more- the 115s have even better BC,so that helps too,though velocity is useful ( and increases energy,if that is a consideration).If field shooting, is there is a suitable bullet design- pencil penetration isn't good).

But it's the fast twist higher BC bullets that opens longer doors,rather than the AI's relatively modest velocity increase.Both,fine but in that order.

gbal

25 yards?

A fast twist is usually needed for 105 g in 243,and that fast twist barrel will give potentially considerably more range than say 90g,in standard twist. The AI 's 150 fps won't in itself add that much more- the 115s have even better BC,so that helps too,though velocity is useful ( and increases energy,if that is a consideration).If field shooting, is there is a suitable bullet design- pencil penetration isn't good).

But it's the fast twist higher BC bullets that opens longer doors,rather than the AI's relatively modest velocity increase.Both,fine but in that order.

gbal

cheers pal,we havn,t spoke for a while,so what your saying a fast twist 243 with 105 grain Amax would be just as good almost

Simon,I was arguing that if range is what you are after in the 243,then there is much more to be gained by a fast twist and so heavier 105-115 Dtac bullets with corresponding better BCs,than the fairly small fps gains (150 maybe?)from Ackleying a 'standard' 1 in 10 243.

Of course Ackleying a fast twist is probably the 'best' option,to give just a bit more velocity to those heavier bullets.....

The current fly in the long range varminting 243 ointment is the dearth of varmint effective bullets,like a heavy Amax. "Sherlock" on here pretty well persuaded me that the 22/250 (AI?) has the edge-not ballistically,but because it does have heavy for calibre Amax,which just work.Of course,bullet choice will probably increase,and for inanimate targets,there is no problem-the 115 DTAC loaded 243 is a very fine long ranger without going to anything extreme or boomy (Ackleyed or not)and the 105-107 are none too shabby either....then there is the 6BR and "improved a bit in this class' (Dasher,6XC) all retaining great long range performance and shootability..

But we're talking 243 options-and the standard twist 243 with 55-58 g bullets is pretty much the old "Middlestead 22/243"-no mean performer in classic varminters-but can't extend the range like the heavies.

Even zippier with Ackley,of course-but not a lot-100fps maybe,as the 243 is already an efficient design (not a lot of 308 Ackleys!),though it seems to be often loaded a bit hot when Ackleyed...

Whether the other benefits of Ackley are substantial....well,it all helps.Once the twist is sorted-and that's a useage decision.

g

I had a 243 Ackley and it was a good experience. However dies were an issue and until I bought a custom full length resizing die, I could only neck size which didn't do a lot for the ease of feeding from the magazine.

When I bought the rifle second hand, I just bought RWS 96 gr ammo and went stalking for roe bucks with it.

I think Ackley is an itch that you may or may not need to scratch. I don't have one now and apart from a hankering after a 280 Ackley Improved, I doubt I will have another. I've also owned at least 3 std .243 Wins and I probably will have another one at some time although I don't have one at the minute.

Regards JCS

243%20Win%20and%20Ackley%20Improved.jpg

ye thanks for that,i am getting an RPA now in 243 AI in a 8 twist so ime looking forward to load testing etc, i take it theres no neck turning or any thing when fire forming,if any one has any information it will be greatfull..

PO Ackley's design driver was that commercial factory ammo (eg 243win) could always be fired reasonably effectively in his Ackley chambers (243 AI) just in case wildcat 243AI reloaded ammo ran short, and would eject as a fire formed 243 Ackley Imp case,ready to reload. A neat win/win.

g

Archived