I would like some advice or opinions on scope power when shooting from the sling. I don't know what you call the match in the UK, out here we know it as Optical. This involves shooting from the prone position with a sling and no other support. Ranges run to 1200 yards and standard Big Bore targets and 7.62 calibre. No-one seems to shoot it much and I would like to know what power scope would be considered optimum.

It is a pleasure to read the information provided on this site, there are some pretty knowledgable folk out there.

hello buddy. I would opt for a 8-32 x56 nxs, or the 12-42x56 nxs.I regularly shoot 1000 yards, and you do need the high mag.OK, i,m not shooting prone unsupported, but you dont have to use all the mag available if you aren,t comfortable with it. If you cant see it, you cant hit it. :blush:

hello buddy. I would opt for a 8-32 x56 nxs, or the 12-42x56 nxs.I regularly shoot 1000 yards, and you do need the high mag.OK, i,m not shooting prone unsupported, but you dont have to use all the mag available if you aren,t comfortable with it. If you cant see it, you cant hit it. :rolleyes:

Thanks mate and I am using the nxs. No trouble seeing what I want to hit but I'm trying to find the happy medium where the reticle doesn't show too much movement with pulse in the front hand and that kind of movement. I guess I need to know how much visible movement is acceptable.

In the UK, the type pf shooting you refer to is known as " match rifle " if the rifle is fitted with a telescopic sight. The only calibers allowed are 7.62 x 51 mm and 5.56 x 45 mm.

rgds..

Thanks Baldie,

Ignored local uninformed advice, screwed up the power to 15X and shot my first possible. Magic!

Archived