A day to remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!

varminter

Took the Tuesday off to make a longer bank holiday weekend , glad i did after the weather we had in Cornwall on Monday!!!!

Anyway Tuesday came and the weather was great so made plans to meet up with Charlie hunter and Doug for a spot of varminting!!!

This was great because have not shot with these guys for a while!!!

So first field was full of crows , so picked one at just over 300yds and just shot over the top!!!

Doug had a crack at one at the same range with the same outcome!!!

So we just waited and was not long before they started landing again!!! so pinged the crow at 359yds and dialed in wind / elvevation and touched off the 58 v-max!!!! and connected!!!!!DSCF3122.jpg

We waited for a bit longer and some more crows came down at the same range so Doug sent off a 40 Nosler from his Sako 22-250 and just missed!! -- heres Dougs rifle!!!.........DSCF3123.jpg

Good news is Charlie hunter has some footage on film so hopefully that will come out okay!!! :)

As time went on Doug had to be home for six and i had to go and see my 9 year old daughter!!!

So i thought i would be crafty and talk her into going with her dad varminting!! as it turned out she was at her friends so onward i went to some other farms!!!!! ;)

This farm has recently been cut for silage , so the bunnies stood out fine!!!

Shot 4 bunnies between the 230 -347yds mark then i moved to one of the longer range sections- here it is...DSCF3133.jpg

Once setup i pinged a bunnie at 545yds , so double check good backstop / dial in elevation -minus angle of shot / and allow for 5mph wind!!

Once setup i fired and seen the round hit just to the left of the bunnie!!! checked the wind meter and it had had dropped to 4mph!!!

So i re-loaded and the bunnie just stayed there , probably wondering what the hell happened!!!

Wind meter stayed at the 5mph so i touched off the 58 v-max and was rewarded with the bunnie rolling over and the thump report!!!

So a very happy man!!!DSCF3130.jpg

I finished the evening with a 409 and a 412yds bunnies - all shot with my Sako 6PPC and 58 v-maxs.............

So as you have gathered i had a wonderful day that i will not forget in a long time!!!! :)

Hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as did experiencing and sharing it with you guys.........

All the best..................

RAY............................. ;):blush:

Congratulations Ray, what a great shot.

Glad to see your in training for your forthcoming trip up to Wales :blush:

Hopefully Nemasis243 and myself are in the Varmint Hunters Association so hopefully we'll get a witnessed shot :)

Cheers

Dave

Well done mate i'm well chuffed for you and some cracking pic's too , but the next time you ring to tell me that you've have had a long range bunnie, could you not do it with all the heavy breathing and excitement in your voice , because that sounded like you were enjoying it to much if you no what i mean , :);):blush::);):P

All jokes aside mate well done :P:D

As Always , thanks guys!!!! :lol: :lol:

Its that time of year when the varminting starts to get in full swing and we are fortunate that it is still light up to 21 30 hrs!!!

It always great to share / read our experiences and our views!!! :lol:

Dave - really looking forward to coming up to wales to shoot with you guys!!!!! :lol:

All the best and thanks again to you all.......................

RAY......................................... :D:lol:

Nice One :wub: Nice piece of ground there for the long ones.Just a word of warning when you come down to Dave he has got a mad week planed for you , lookforward to meeting you when your down here, bring plenty of Ammo <_<

Great write up Ray, makes me wanna go out and do some shootin, ill have to wait until the weekend though.

great right up mate

must remeber to take a camera next time i go out!

its normally on my own when i go out plinkin bunnys but my longest is 415ish so far !

Hopefully when my mates rifle gets set up with a home load it likes we will get out properly & realy streach out hte 204 & 243Ai

Out of intrest what sort of allowance for a uphill or downhill shot?couple of clicks or whole MOA's

Cheers Andy

As Always - thanks guys!!!!! :P;)

Nigel , i shall look forward to seeing that footage - thanks matey!!! ;)

And yes guys my friends say "you should grin more in your photos you miserable sod" :blush:

Very much looking forward now to visiting you lads in Wales too!!!! ;) ;)

Skany , as for allowance for uphill / downhill shots - it depends on the angle of the shot!!! on most of the shots taken on that day i would dial in for range minus three quarters MOA.............

Its always a pleasure to go out long range varminting but its made even better when you share the experince!!! :D

Thanks and all the best lads..................

RAY.......................................... :D;)

Archived