Bedding Aluminium V Block Chassis Stocks

I often get asked if its worth bedding an alloy chassis stock.

The type with a V shaped alloy block - HS Precision, Hogue, AICS, etc etc all produce such items.

Usually there are only a few points of contact with the rifle action - if you're lucky you will have four points of contact - one at each "corner", therefore not stressing the action when the action screws are torqued down.

More often than not, if its a factory action it will not be "true" and there will be stress imparted onto the action when the screws are torqued having a negative effect on accuracy.

Example - HS Precision stock - alloy V Block used with Rem 700 action.

The stock was in good condition but clearly showed witness marks where the action was in contact unevenly.

It was prepared and bedded using Devcon

DSCN4318_zpslxqqshsf.jpg

You can clearly see the Points of contact (now circled in red)

a8dd3bb0-d360-4199-b56f-db1e63ebb6b7_zps

Here in close up

DSCN4317_zpszscdraas.jpg

DSCN4316_zpsor8bmxt0.jpg

Bedding has now prevented unwanted twist of the action as torque is applied to the action screws.

Always worth considering having done / doing to extract the most from you're rifle.

What's your view of the chassis stocks which use a full conformal fit, i.e. a fitted 'U' bedding block instead of a 'V' block? This would include those from XLR Industries, as well as (I think) Dolphin. I understand that the PSE E-Tac composite stock also uses a full conformal fit. Do these types need bedding?

Ive fitted most brands of stock to actions and I always bed them (or recommend bedding them).

While the V or U shaped alloy chassis (and the E tac) are designed to be a drop in fit, I believe that for piece of mind and "best accuracy potential" they all should have a skim bed.

The alloy chassis and E Tac don't need pillars - they don't "crush" when the actions screws are torqued, I believe that to have the action fully supported under composite bedding material is better than a less than 100% fit.

Unless the chassis has been machined for a particular action, then it stands to reason that bedding is the best method of guaranteeing perfect fit with no stress imparted on the action when its tightened to the chassis.

Archived