Urban Varminting

6mmBR

Well I had an interesting phone conversation from a chap I know. He's got a problem with bunnies scrumping his veg patch in his back garden. He recons he counted 9 feeding there last night.

So for the first time in ages I've dusted off the old air rifle and zeroed her in, as I don't think I'll get away with the Ackley in his back garden ;)

Going to have a go tonight weather permitting.

Will report back soon.

Dave

Guest varmartin

Done you a drop chart :D

yards .. MOA .. wind

0 .. 0.00 . 0.00

5 .. 13.25 .. 0.00

10 .. 1.00 .. 0.25

15 .. -1.50 .. 0.25

20 .. -2.00 .. 0.50

25 .. -1.25 .. 0.50

30 .. 0.00 .. 0.75

35 .. 1.50 .. 0.75

40 .. 3.00 .. 1.00

45 .. 5.00 .. 1.25

55 .. 8.75 .. 1.50

ps...it may not be accurate..... ;)

Thanks for that Martin ;)

I was going to call the thread "Short Range Varminting"

Just going out to re check zero of my air gun. Thank god it's a .177 so the trajectory will be a bit flatter.

It will have the same drop at 40 yards as my Ackley does at 300 :D

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Dave

Better change the batteries in the lieca range finder dave looks like your gonna be busy,head shots only I hope. Watch next doors green house, youve been itching to give that new RPA 6.5/284 a spin ,go on live a little ;):D

Better change the batteries in the lieca range finder dave looks like your gonna be busy,head shots only I hope. Watch next doors green house, youve been itching to give that new RPA 6.5/284 a spin ,go on live a little ;):D

Will do Andy.

I've been practising in the garden those 8.9gn bullets travelling at a blistering 800fps should be just the medicine :lol:

Cheers

Dave

had a mate once try urban varminting his 22 had its scope of so he got out his 22-250 out of the upstairs window he squeezed of a round BOOM the sound echoed up the street hut the railway viaduct then came back down the street with an almighty racket he that which promotes growth and vigour him self put all the guns in the gun cupbourd went down stairs to speak to his o/h and said did you hear any thing love to which she replied with soup all down her blouse hear any thing what the f--k do you think

Well it turned out a sucsessfull evening. I parked the truck in his garden and sat in the passenger seat with the gun on a window bag.

DSCF0626.jpg

The longest shot of the evening being 37 yards.

The bunnies appeared from all directions and by close of play I managed 8 by dark. Hence only 7 in the below picture

DSCF0628.jpg

It certainly makes you think, we all get caught up in super performance centerfires with flat trajectories and fantastic long range abilities and over look the humble air rifle and what an effective vermin tool it is.

Cheers

Dave

Just goes to show there should always be room for an air rifle in the gun cabinet,rabbit's in a bit better nick as well

Hi Dave ,

Well done mate!!!! :):blush:

Good to hear you had a good evening too and always good to go back to your airgun routes!!!

All the best.........

RAY................................... :);)

Cheers Ray, we may have an evening with the airguns when you come up, it will sure be interesting.

It's certainly good to get back to your roots sometimes.

Cheers

Dave

Nice one.

Good bit of practice for ................................... what 8p :lol:

A bit cheaper than centrefires and sometimes more difficult, 37 yards aint a bad shot.

Your right Eldon, I think a lot of cheap practice with an airgun stands you in great stead for centerfires and as you say one hell of a lot cheaper.

Cheers

Dave

Recently got myself a Webley exocet with moderator :lol: and for this sort of stuff its ok but aren't most air rifle triggers 5hite?

Talk about creep, for free hand shots you had to preload it and take the slack up :lol:

A quick dressing sorted it.

Other night friend rings up and says "you want to see the size of the rat on my bird table"

I said " yer yer yer don't tell me size of a cat"

"It is I'm telling you, do you think I'll be ok with the 12 bore out of bedroom window"

I said " nigel its 9.00 at night, houses behind you and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I take it you don't want the bird table? Why dont you borrow the air rifle"

Ten minutes later its collected and back to his house, rat still there.

Sets himself up nicely in window and as he opens it, it runs off :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's sods law <_< Perhaps he'll have better luck next time.

The airgun is the perfect tool for the job in cases like that. Especially if you want an intact bird table.

Cheers

Dave

Well well dave didnt you have a bit of fun up at Tigers :P

Fancy looking air rifle puts my BSA break barrel to shame :blush: ,

Will give you a bell the weekend cheers Andy

What a great post! I've not been on here much lately, but come back for a quick look to see what's going on. I didn't think you chaps had any time for the air rifle.

It just goes to show you can have a really fun day with them. The bag looks clean and the whole job cost about 10p! I've got the same kind of task coming up for one of my mums work mates. Time for a bit of airgunning in the garden to get used to peashooter power again. I think I'd better leave the 6.5x55 at home :D

He phoned again last night to say there was another 10 on the lawn :rolleyes:

Looks like the Daystate will be busy again ;)

Cheers

Dave

It sounds like he may have a fair few of them around the place then, maybe a semi regular permission for the future. Let us know how it goes. I guess you may even be eating some of these bunnies for a change? I don't suppose there's much left when you shoot them with your 6mm?

Well for a back garden this guy has a real problem. Went down last night and shot another 7 rabbits :D , where are they all coming from.

I know they breed fast but this is ridiculous.

Dave

Well Dave another evening of plinking those little fluffy bunnies :D , Glad to see your getting plenty of practice,

Get the Kite fitted on the air rifle then you can some real fun. :P

Sorry to hear about the dog speak to you later Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived