H 4350 powder

gunnery

Sorry in advance if this question has been asked before but is the above powder a double base powder or single had a look on there page but cant find any info looking for a good powder for .260 what's not double base any recommendations welcome

based on good tight groups no problem with my original load very accurate Vit 550 but just fitted a Krieger Barrel so bit worried about double base powders or is there no truth in double base powders being barrel burners

H4350 is single based. I personally feel that it's 6of1 half a dozen of another with barrel life. Some high energy powders burn cooler than single based and some single based base a higher energy content than "high energy". Personally I think if you run max loads in your rifle then you have to accept that the barrel will wear. Barrels are like tyres and are a consumable I'm affraid

Yes fair comment Danny that's the way I see it but has I said didn't know if it was single or double base a lot of .260 shooters seem to use H4350 powder with good results.

H4350 is 'single-base' (nitrocellulose only). All Hodgdon extruded variants are likewise. All Alliant Re powders, Viht N500 series, and over half the Reload Swiss range are 'high-energy', that is they start as ordinary extruded single-base jobs, but have a percentage nitroglycerine impregnation at a late stage in the manufacturing process. All spherical / ball powders whether Hodgdon, Winchester, Lovex (DO series), Vectan (SP series), Ramshot, Accurate are true double-based - the basic 'dough-mix' sees NC and NG added together at an early stage to create a full chemical compound.

All Viht N100 series, Lovex (SO series), IMR, and Vectan (Tu series) extruded powders are single-based. (I'm told the three new IMR 'Enduron' grades, 4166 4451 7977 which haven't got here yet are high-energy types though.)

So, possible 260 powders?

Viht N150 (what I use with 123s in the cartridge - a bit 'fast' for 140s)

Viht N160 (139-142s)

Lovex SO65 (120-130gn)

Lovex SO70

IMR-4007ssc (120-130)

IMR-4350

IMR-4831 (heavier bullets)

Reload Swiss RS62

Nobel-Sport Vectan Tu5000

Nobel-Sport Vectan Tu7000 (heavier bullets)

I've yet to try RS62 in the smaller 6.5s (260 / '47L / Creedmoor), but have high hopes for it - it looks just right for the trio). IMR-4350 and Lovex SO70 (which used to be called Accurate-4350) are the closest matches to the H. variety.

Edgar Brothers will receive a Hodgdon / IMR shipment shortly, so some out of stock grades will be available again. Very briefly I suspect for some. Derek Edgar says the company has 15,000lb of VarGet on order now including unfulfilled back-orders, but doesn't expect to see more than a fraction of that amount, ever!

thanks for that Laurie is the RS62 the TR powder and would this be good for .260 A-Max123grn and maybe 308 155grn FTR Palma brass

No, RS62 is not TR140. It's significantly slower burning being in the same general area as the 4350s and a bit slower burning than N150. TR140 is RS50.

TR140 (now sold as RS50) is fast burning for the 260, and has very similar characteristics to Viht N140. Viht doesn't quote N140 loads for the cartridge with any bullet heavier than 100gn, and so any TR140/RS50 loads with 123s would have to be kept well down which in turn reduces the fill-ratio to a less than optimum level, likewise velocities. It works well in 308 Win with 155s in either type of case giving similar performance to Viht N140.

Well Laurie I tried H4350 in .260 using 123grn Sierra Matchkings really good groups very promising starting point taking your advice on MV about 2900 only draw back is the price of H4350 £40.50 lb tub = £81 kg don't mind paying that for the results I had but cant help thinking there may be other cheaper alternative ie like you say RS60 RS62 THANKS FOR ADVICE I will have a word with our mate Foxy

Archived