Home Office Guidance 2002 to police 2002 on expanding bullets

Guest Sundance Kid

Not only deer Funky Bunch but read the full text of Para 4.4 section 10 of the 1997 act amended section 5A(4) of the 1968 act it also contains vermin as in the following 4 sections contained therin

4.4 Section 10 of the 1997 Act amended

section 5A(4) of the 1968 Act to exempt

from the general prohibition on expanding

ammunition people who use it for specific

purposes. The exemptions cover those people

who use expanding ammunition for the:

1. lawful shooting of deer;

2. shooting of vermin or, in the course

of estate management, other wildlife;

3. humane killing of animals; and

4. shooting animals for the protection

of other animals or humans.

Its only the legislation in the Wildlife Act that prohibits shooting Deer with a non expanding bullet the firearms act lets you purchase expanding ammo for vermin control if you so wish what has now made it more complicated is that now you can use certain 22.cal ammunition expanding on smaller species of deer defined in the latest ammendment but must not be used on larger species in England and Wales only.

Scotland and Ireland come under a different legislation and set of rules and laws where as you may use certain .22 cal expanding ammo on Roe deer only

Regards

Sundance

20ppc would you like to comment. in light of what has been said on other sites

Stu

as far as I am aware, you cannot use expanding ammunition in any competition, be it BDS / BASC shoots or at Bisley - expanding (Sect5 Ammo) is only to be used for the purpose one has the exemption for (despatching deer or vermin) although one has to check zero occasionaly at the range of course to make sure your zero hasnt shifted.

I may be off line on this one, but am I incorrect in my thoughts that all bullets (except FMJ) expand (to a degree) on contact with any material (ok maybe not a sheet of paper) ?

I think your right Ronin on the expansion of all heads. I would have thought even FMJ will expand if the target was hard enough, not sure how you would find or collect them to prove one way or the other.

I know Amax on steel leave a bigger hole than the calibre.

I cant help thinking that this is such a load of old broccoli.. The act is designed in such a way so as to "ensure" :D that if another Dunblane takes place, the offender uses FMJ and not expanding.. Isn't that what it's all about at the end of the day???

Geez these politicians and the chief constables of the uk have there heads so far up their arses, they make these laws to persuade an ignorant general public that an FMJ bullet is a safer bet should the unimaginable happen again.. Well u all & i know it aint gonna make one bit of difference whether a madman uses expanding or FMJ ammo in his pursuit of killing innocents in the cold light of day.. The act is nothing more than a white wash..

It makes no difference to a "butts" made of sand or soil when target shooting, what damn bullet type one is using..

The only important thing here is that one should only use expanding when shooting an animal... When will common sense prevail in this country of ours????

MMMM.. When hell freezes over.... ;)

Archived