oal gauge which one?

OK I'm after a oal gauge, I have tried the cheap method of putting a head in a fired case and closing the bolt,I'm getting different results every time,aswell as the head staying in the lands. I have had a quick search on the net and looked at the straight hornady one with the modified cases. What do you guys recommend. I will be needing it for my 223 and 308's all three are standard bolt action's.

Cheers Andy.

OK I'm after a oal gauge, I have tried the cheap method of putting a head in a fired case and closing the bolt,I'm getting different results every time,aswell as the head staying in the lands. I have had a quick search on the net and looked at the straight hornady one with the modified cases. What do you guys recommend. I will be needing it for my 223 and 308's all three are standard bolt action's.

Cheers Andy.

Contact Davy on here, AKA the shooting shed.

Alan

Hornady good enough but Shooting shed gear better made by far.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the comparator inserts are in any way uniform even for same calibre (at least the Hornady ones) ...I once bought a 'spare' insert and it gave wildly different readings....its a comparator NOT an absolute measure.

i use a rod and 2 nuts that you just tighten up,i put my bolt in slide the nut down the the crown then tighten this bolt, then remove the bolt ,i then put the bullet into the lans then just move it back slightly with the rod whilst holding a cotton bud at the back of the bullet, then i can feel just when its touching the lans, i tighten the second nut and that gives me my meassure......its cheap and it works every time

Archived