Bedded action removal - lube?

Sam17H

A question for the technical wizards on the forum if I may...

I have recently completed a custom rifle stock build and have reinstalled the scope etc and placed the action back into the full bedding job I've done.

post-13884-0-73308300-1425302609_thumb.jpg

I was wondering, should I use a thin layer of grease on the bedding / action where it contacts the bedding before reinstalling, or should I just wipe the rifle over with an oily rag instead? What is the best way to ensure consistency? lube or no lube?

Thanks in advance

post-13884-0-52954100-1425302695_thumb.jpg

If it's a blued action, which is what it looks like and oily rag would be fine.

Nice job on the stock.

Thanks - it's what I was thinking, although I wiped a thin smear of vasoline across the underside of the action thinking it may help a bit, but was equally worried it might cause a slight inconsistency over time. I'll wipe it clean and try it without any grease.

Cheers for the compliments on the stock

Definitely no grease.

The point of a bedding job is to give you the closest fit to the stock as possible. In theory grease no matter how thin a layer will always have some build up and is essentially holding the action from the bedding job. Keep it clean and your onto a winner.

A question for the technical wizards on the forum if I may...

I have recently completed a custom rifle stock build and have reinstalled the scope etc and placed the action back into the full bedding job I've done.

attachicon.gifbedding and action.jpg

I was wondering, should I use a thin layer of grease on the bedding / action where it contacts the bedding before reinstalling, or should I just wipe the rifle over with an oily rag instead? What is the best way to ensure consistency? lube or no lube?

Thanks in advance

attachicon.gifrifle.jpg

+1 on the nice stock job.

What stock is it out of interest?

J.

Archived