So, you think the BBC's firearms coverage is bad do you?

JohnGalway

Link

This "report" went out on national TV here last night on RTE's (state broadcaster) flagship news magazine programme "Prime Time". Please take note of the incredibly anti legally held firearm slant to the editing, and anything said by Tom Clonan, who has practically worn out the word "weapon". Legally held firearms are used legally, in various sporting ways either predator control, game/clay shoots, target shooting etc. You simply cannot be licenced to hold a "weapon" legally as "weapons" are used to hurt people :censored:

One of two things are up with Tom Clonan. Either he's incredibly against "civilians" holding any type of legally held firearm, or, he was asked certain questions and the parts of hos interview were cut and edited into the reporrt to suit the negative slant.

I'm not writing to RTE, it's obvious to me by letting out this manner of factually incorrect and blatantly editorally aint firearm bias that I may as well talk to the wall. I will however be writing to the Broadcasting Complaints Comission.

What a sack of shi7e. Do gooder without a clue, Sensationalism.

I wonder what his real agenda is?

I have shot pistol but its not my thing, each to their own.

I haven't kept up with the current legal side but why is Ireland now allowed pistols and yet the rest of the Uk is not allowed except for animals.

Do you have pistol target shooting as we used to have in the good old days?

I wouldn't be into the pistol/handgun shooting myself to be honest, I know my local gun dealer is very much into pistol competitions including practical pistol. I would assume lobbying brought them back in legally, they talk in that piece about an explosion of handgun numbers. But back before they were "taken in" there was thousands more pistols in the country. So in real terms there is only a small number of pistols compared to the number that should be in use. Over here you'd need to be a member of a target shooting club to get a pistol I believe and also install a monitored alarm. Even though I wouldn't be into certain aspects of shooting I'll defend anyone elses right to enjoy that sport! Lots of people have complained about that report. I'm hoping there'll be some type of apology broadcasted by I won't hold my breath.

I wonder if this was a carrot or concession for the peace process?

Anybody shed any light on why northern ireland pistol shooters are treat different to english pistol shooters?

Pistols are back in NORTHERN ireland. Thats part of the UK.

Did they ever ban them there? I believe they can be used in some circumstances for personal protection but I'm open to correction :D

Pistols were never banned in NI. I believe the reason was that when the ban was going to be brought in over here, Mo Mowlem who was the then (I believe) Secretary of State for NI said that she could see no benefit of a ban on legitimate pistols for sporting purposes and therefore would not agree to the ban in Northern Ireland. I just wish the idiots in power over here had not bowed down to pressure from the media. I made a lot of friends whilst pistol shooting both over here and in the US . :D

Pistols were never banned in NI. I believe the reason was that when the ban was going to be brought in over here, Mo Mowlem who was the then (I believe) Secretary of State for NI said that she could see no benefit of a ban on legitimate pistols for sporting purposes and therefore would not agree to the ban in Northern Ireland. I just wish the idiots in power over here had not bowed down to pressure from the media. I made a lot of friends whilst pistol shooting both over here and in the US . :ph34r:

Maybe Mo should have been PM on the mainland then. A politician doing a sensible thing is a novelty :D

I knew Mo Mowlem personally.She was a wonderful woman.

The pistols were, i believe, taken, more to do with the troubles. I,m sure some of the irish lads are far better qualified to comment on this, but i will ask Roger tomorrow.

As already stated I am not or was not a pistol shooter but just out to protect our sport for all.

Taking the argument a little further.

Daily or so it would seem we are brought into line with another piece of EEC policy to keep it all square.

Surely then there should be an argument for the pistol shooters to have an across the board ruling nearer home as we are all UK.

I wonder which shooting organisation will drive this one home................. :wacko:

I won't happen, the law in Scotland is different to the rest of the UK but it's still part of the UK. They would have to change to many laws and that might interfere with all there wining and dinning that they so enjoy.

The pistols were, i believe, taken, more to do with the troubles.

Just to quickly cover this subject.

In 1972 the then Minister for Justice in The Republic of Ireland signed a 30 day Protective Custody Order.This was rolled over every month for 30 years!!!

As a result All Firearms [not including shotguns] over 22 calibre were taken into protective custody.The fear was that subversive elements would and were stealing them for their own agendas.

This led to the 22/250 and 5.6x57 becoming our only available deer rifles.Starting about I suppose 10 years ago there was a gradual relaxation.

First of all rifles up to 270 were allowed back into the public domain.More recently pistols are again being licensed and rifles up to 308 are licensed without too much trouble.Rifles over this size maybe licensed but are regarded as restricted as are 9mm pistols. This was not without a tremendous amount of pressure from various shooting interests and fair do,s to them.

The Justice Department still tries to make it as difficult as possible for RFD,s to import pistol ammunition

Just what the hell restricted is meant to mean I dont understand.You still make your application to your local Officer Dibble and it is passed to the Chief Superintendent rather than your local Superintendent.

Just a quick precis of the matter

Archived