You can use anything really.

I use a webtex jacket as a base because these are lighter than the issue windproof jackets. Once you have all the trimmings on they get quite heavy especially when wet. :P

Source yourself some sandbags and nip to the shop for a green dye and your off.

Are you going for the net idea or direct attachment? :D

I've got two DVD's, The Art of Camoflage and The Art of Camoflage 2. They show how to make Ghillie suits and bush rags using either flight suits or camo trousers and jackets. It's quite a bit of work but worth it if you have the patience and time. I keep flirting with the idea but... I've neither of the above, especially patience lol.

By the by, there are online guides to basically doing what's in the DVD also. Cheaper, I just wanted to see it being done rather than photos.

A decent face mask and a pair of gloves to hide your white bits are important, other than that anything darkish will do. Scent is a big givaway when foxing.

I have stalked and killed foxes at very close ranges in my youth wearing an old German army grey/green boiler suit. These days shooting them at distance with bigger toys then IMHO Ghille suits are simply not needed. But if you really want one then they are easily found in the US.

A

The bought items vary a lot in price and quality.

Like reloading if you want one you might as well make it part of the hobby and make your own. It is alot of work but can be quite satisfying. Get yourself a hot glue gun and it makes it a damned sight easier and quicker.

I made one once out of an ex german jacket and it promptly blew out of a mates pick up on the A64 towards York.

I wonder what the person finding it made of it :D no point in going back to look for it because if it was any good I would have no chance in finding it :ph34r::D

]

As I'm not in the SAS I dont need one, they each make their own.

:D:ph34r::D

We took a chap out stalking couple of weeks ago, after briefing he left the truck carrying a plastic bag,we didnt like to ask what was in it. He was last to be picked up and appeared out of the gloom dressed as a bush(contents of the polly bag) We where trying our hardest not to laugh and managed quite well until he mentioned he had been buzzed by a pair of crows, mate turned and said maybe they were looking for a nest site, nearly drove off the road :(:D:lol:

Nell

Guest northernchris

Its a shame that some people have forgotten where the "ghillie" suit originated from and what it was used for :D:ph34r::D

Certainly is, they work, they are better hand made from burlap and hessian natural colours with vegetation from area you are in added, but its a time consuming job making one, the last one I did took nearly a week.

I dont use mine as often as I should, when stalking.

I have one which I made years ago which has just about seen its last days :( , some guys on here may knock them but I bet they wear camo jackets when they go shooting !

A Ghillie suit just can give you the edge ,if your stalking wood,hill or along a hedge. They are designed to blend in, most animals which we hunt have alot better sight than us so if you have the oppotunity to use something to your advantage why not.

I used mine many times in Scotland when culling, when you waht to get right in to a herd of beasts and had great success using it.

The problem with home made suits is the wieght factor,especially when they get wet, there is a siut from the states which is called the Chamellion it wieghs about 3llb and has a that which promotes growth and vigour hot pattern and is made from synthetic material so dosent hold water. :D

Mind you theres no point having a ghillie suit if you have a 26" piece of Stainless waving round like a flag pole. :D:ph34r:

Right as well Nemasis, you need to wrap the rifle too, which is where the duracoat finsish is so good for stainless barrels.

Going back to Ghillies, I have an Arktis base mesh jacket with straps that you attach the burlap to, its lightweight and pretty good coverage when all the straps have threads of material attached.

I got an ex issue one from my mate who was in the part time, basically just all std dpm jacket and trousers with burlap sewen in its a heavy bugger and a bit hot in the summer unless you go commando underneath :D , but then theres the chafing :wacko: but it does work, and totally agree with ronin and nemasis, rifle needs covered as well with burlap. I got a burlap bag as well which it all fits into nicley for carrying to where your gonna setup and the bag doubles up for covering the rifle too. Try a local army surplus store you may just pick one up there, failing that buy some burlap and some cheap dpm kit and get sewing. Dont be tempted by some of these deben ones or similar, I looked at one last year it was 95 quid in advantage timber, had all this dopey light see through net hanging off it, I am sure it worked well but first sign of any brambles or a climb over a barb wire fence and 95 quid would have been lying on the sheep that which promotes growth and vigour in pieces.

• 4 weeks later...

Chameleon Suit

Archived