Word of Warning for HMR Users

Deeredriver

CCI/Hornady has been mis handling their brass annealing for some time. I don't believe for a second that CCI / Hornady can't anneal "because the case is already primed" .... They made perfectly good ammo for some time and now they don't. The onus for the bad ammo is on them. They are screwing up and don't take responsibility for it.

As an aside, I was reflecting today on US rimfire ammo supplies. 17HMR is in huge quantity... there was never a shortage of it. It is by all counts, very inexpensive. A box of 17 HMR runs as little as $9 a box during some sales events. A box of 22LR: $5- $9 / 50. A box of 22WMR as high as $26 / 50. They crank out bad 17HMR as fast as they can but make no 22WMR and dammed little 22LR; to the extent that there is a glut of 17HMR. Rimfire rifle sales are falling because unless you want 17HMR, any rifle you buy will go hungry... and HMR isn't as popular as it once was here in the States.

It's a sad situation.~Andrew

PS: And for the Love of God, don't suggest "Panic buying by greedy Americans." is the cause. You've got to have merchandise to 'panic' buy and there has been none for a long time. I'm hoarding my remaining few boxes of 22WMR because I don't see any more in sight! :(

Andrew,the 17HMR does present as a somewhat shabby affair,whatever the ultimate reasons.

There probably was a perception that US shooters did stock up quite heavily on ammo-shooters here tend not to-and there are some restrictions on amounts possessed(though there is something in the UK psyche that goes from box to box,rather than brick to brick!)

You seem to be suggesting that 17 HMR is being churned out....but not selling very well?

AND that 22rf ammo is in very short retail supply,maybe low in production?

These would be curious circumstances in consumer society-"let's not produce what is in demand".

But you are there,and have experience of the US rf business.

How are cf shooters being served ? There seems a trickle reaching UK-though we have Europe too,which has helped.

g

Archived