Ruger 10/22 Reliability Mods

.300wm

Hi guys, so i've owned the rifle for about 4 years and it works fine 99% of the time with CCI subsonics, I cannot however get them and have got some winchester subs and it has turned into a jam-o-matic.

I shall give roger a ring when I get a minute and report back.

Thanks for your help guys

You will find its the shape of the Winchester subs. They are a bugger for snagging on the feed ramp on the barrel.

• 1 month later...

I have an AMT which is basically a stainless copy of a 10/22. I would of course agree with much of the above in that keeping everything clean does help prevent jams. I was also told to only lube the slide etc with a little graphite powder available from locksmiths rather than oil by someone far more knowledgeable than me and this does seem to help.

However by far the biggest difference I made to reliability was to junk the standard ruger rotary mags and opt for a straight mag - I use a 25 shot butler creek jobbie which is very reliable - I think these rotary mags are the most common cause of issues with 10/22's.

Ammo also makes a big difference. I only use subs and my normal Eley's which I use in my bolt action guns jammed every single round, CCI subs gave me lots of 'crackers' and more than a few jams. Likewise Winnie subs (which I've never found accurate in any of my .22's) also jammed frequently. But by far the best were the new type of RWS subs - not only are these ultra reliable they were also the most accurate too - strongly suggest anyone with a semi auto .22 gives these a try :) .

Cheers lads, all advice taken on board.

Decided to purchase a kidd 10/22 spring set and guide rod, comes with three different strengths of spring. Will report back when I get chance to fit etc.

Archived