.243 win / Ramshot powder.

Dac9976

Hi all

Hopefully picking up my .243 this weekend, so new load development begins:)

Anyone had any experience using Ramshot powder with the .243?

I've got loads of hunter that I could use and there data seems to favour it.

Cheers

Danny.

Hi mate I am currently using magnum in my 243 under the 115 dtac. I don't know velocity as yet but I terms of group size it's very very good!

Yeah I really like the powder mate.

I'm going to be using 58gr Vmax. Thought the hunter was a slow powder but on their data it seems to give good results.

Cheers

Danny.

Hi

Ok need a bit of help fellas.

Just started doing some loads with Ramshot hunter, using there data.

Started to notice that the cases look really full so I put 50.5gr in a case( which is not max load) to see how full it would get.......right to the very top!

Any ideas?????

Cheers

Danny.

Different cases hold different amounts.

I would start much lower as if the case is still fairly full you will still get the pressures but with less powder so could still get the fps you require! It's all trial and error

Different cases hold different amounts.

I would start much lower as if the case is still fairly full you will still get the pressures but with less powder so could still get the fps you require! It's all trial and error

Ok might still give it a go.

I tried the lowest amount stated and it still looked fairly full but doable.

Why would they state 52 gr if it's physically impossible to put 52gr of powder in the case?

Cheers

Danny.

I had a .308 that I struggled to get 45gr of N140 in while others could get 46-48gr!

Its all down to the cases. Some cases just simply have more room! As long as the powder doesn't go over the base of the neck you should be fine but I would drop down the powder so that you don't start load testing with a compressed load.

I had a .308 that I struggled to get 45gr of N140 in while others could get 46-48gr!

Its all down to the cases. Some cases just simply have more room! As long as the powder doesn't go over the base of the neck you should be fine but I would drop down the powder so that you don't start load testing with a compressed load.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Will give it a go and see what happens

Cheers

Danny.

Always start at a known published bottom load and work up in your rifle.

My info was from a published bottom load, the case was nearly full with the bottom load hence my confusion.

Cheers

Danny.

Dac,as per mildot-brass cases vary between manufacturers,and occasionally within manufacturer.SAAMI specs are for the outside of the case,only. You won't be using any,but military brass is often quite different. To get some idea,look at Accurate Shooter site-243 is sketchy,though Norma has more than Lapua,Winchester more than Remington,but no detail.

Have a look at 223-where there is a table of case weights-not the same as capacity,but indicates the possible variance-up to 2.5g.

The relationship of volume/weight to case fill/compression is complex,so even more reason to work up-or down...if you have any signs of overfill.

gbal

• 1 month later...

Don't know if anyone's interested.

Finally work up a load, 47.3gr of Ramshot hunter with a 58gr vmax doing 3450fps.

Excellent group.

Cheers

Danny.

Archived