turret press advice

nuttyspaniel

After recent events my reloading is in for a major shake up. Ive now been using my rcbes dies and my lee dies arent touched! :wacko: I think swapping dies back and thro led to me producing over length rounds. :unsure: Ive also learned to use my precision mic properly and to be honest wonder at how the fek I didnt have a serious malfucntion with out this prior! :rolleyes: So the lee dies are GTF ing and Im brining a rcbs neck sizer in to complete my set up. :rolleyes: I am wanting to get a 3 hole turret press so once the dies are set I dont have to try and re-set each die every time I use it, this I hope will minimise any potential mistakes as Ive done in the past.

What turret presses do you recomend? Im looking at the lee classic with auto prime at the mo, but any suggestions welcome.

Hi nuttyspaniel,

If you must get a turret press go for the Redding T-7, all others are complete shite in comparison. I know its a lot more cash, but its worth every penny.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/t7turretpress.html

But for me you can't beat a good single stage press, and again i went Redding. The boss press is second to none.

Hope you get what you want.

All the best,

Jay.

Cheers Jay it certainley looks solid and robust, but I think a divorce would be on the cards with that expence, after what Ive just shelled out for! New lease, leupold, navara, etc etc and theres talk of another lease coming my way!! She is understanding but Im skating on thin ice so to speak!!!

What turret presses do you recomend? Im looking at the lee classic with auto prime at the mo, but any suggestions welcome.

i use the lee 3 hole turret press its ok but not the best it will throw bullets about 0.003" each way

it does what i want it to do butt if you want perfection go for the redding single stage they are really nice and smoth and throw a cosistant bullet every time

all the best bruxie

i use the lee 3 hole turret press its ok but not the best it will throw bullets about 0.003" each way

I read similar today on the internet, that turrets arent as consistant as single stage presses! I think its going to be a case of sticking with what Ive got or the new lee press which is single stage but it allows us to change dies without loosing the dies setting!

I used to use a Lyman turret press when i used to load for pistol but i swapped to a single stage and have used one ever since, apart from an arbour press.

The problem i had was that in order for the turret to turn freely with out binding there had to be a certain amount of clearance between the shaft and the turret, this allowed the turret to tilt back and forth when sizing and bullet seating.

Unequal seating depths in pistol ammo that was only going to be shot at 25yds was not all that important but in rifle ammo that would not be the case.

Stick to a single stage mate.

Ian.

Archived