Thermal imagers

Georgek80

I am thinking about getting a pulsar hd38s I have only ever used a ticam thermal wich is top spec .can anyone tell me about there thoughts on the pulsar hd38s for foxing ,how far can u spot stuff and identify it ,

Clarity .

Hi George

Have a read of Sporting Rifle this month, they have a review of the Quantum.

As for detection it will "detect" a man sized object in ideal conditions up to 950m away but realistic recognition distance on a fox sized object would be approx 400m

Lots of videos on You Tube etc

I would also recommend the HD50S which is the new model.

Regards

Paul

George

I have the 38s TI, and would not be without it. Detection/Recognition ranges are as Paul stated. In fact I think he is being alittle conservative,because at times with careful adjustment of the brightness and contrast controls I am picking up bunnies

at 350m and foxes out to 450m+. In my opinion it is a brilliant piece of gear,easy to use both in daylight and nighttime.It

opens up a whole new spectrum when observing wildlife, including the two legged variety!

Kind regards............Nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi,

We have been using a HD38s for 14 months and it has transformed our nightly foxing forays.

In decent cold and clear conditions you can spot a fox at 600 yds and roe out to 1,000.

It is an excellent bit of kit and if you need to be covert then only way forward, ie if you have very lamp shy foxs. Quarry id takes a while the first time you see a fox at close range it looks like a lynx as little heat from the tail. Sheep are well insulated, horses and cattle glow.

The critical bit is using it to spot potential quarry then ID it with NV and we use a Drone Pro on a custom .204. With this you can take foxs at 200 yds but rarely need to do so as Thermal lets you get much closer.

Excellent for spotting deer in thick cover/grass, must be of considerable help to fallow stalkers.

On stubble you can see a rat at 100yds, birds in trees and transformers well over 1,000 yds.

I understand little difference between it and 50s. Only thing they could do to improve it is to increase the mag.

One tip use it on the lowest intensity as you will ruin (temporarily) your night vision.

You need the external battery pack which will last for months.

Hope this helps

D

I am thinking about getting a pulsar hd38s I have only ever used a ticam thermal wich is top spec .can anyone tell me about there thoughts on the pulsar hd38s for foxing ,how far can u spot stuff and identify it ,

Clarity .

Top bit of kit that will transform your foxing, If I had my way I would have a HD38 for my left eye and a HD50 for my right eye. :blink:

Archived