Remington Oops They did it Again!!!

1971silversurfer

Just been browsing tinternet this morn and came across this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/robert-farago/breaking-remington-agrees-to-replace-triggers-in-all-model-700-rifles/

There may be trouble ahead?

Could this break Remington?

Interesting that the recall covers all 700s made since 1962. Although I'm not quite sure why anyone would willingly part with one of the excellent old black triggers for an X-Mark Pro.

Maybe they want to keep those that have honed their triggers in check?

Just been browsing tinternet this morn and came across this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/robert-farago/breaking-remington-agrees-to-replace-triggers-in-all-model-700-rifles/

There may be trouble ahead?

Could this break Remington?

The recall has been around for a few months now, mine has already been back under the recall to Riflecraft for it's replacement trigger. There was along delay while they waited for the parts to come through from the USA. The turn around time was about 3 weeks. Cheers

The recall has been around for a few months now, mine has already been back under the recall to Riflecraft for it's replacement trigger. There was along delay while they waited for the parts to come through from the USA. The turn around time was about 3 weeks. Cheers

Yes mine was recalled, then binned after receipt...the old recall was 2006 to present.

The new recall is 1962 onwards...

In other words......a lot of rifles!!!!

"...a lot of rifles...from 1962 on..."

Indeed,some 7.85 million....though take up may not include all (and probably very few) of those with retrofitted alternate triggers. There is supposedly $29.7 million set aside to do the replacements.....we can assume that the cost per rifle will be rather more than the 5 and 1/2 cents it would have cost originally,but even so......the figures don't on the face of it quite add up.....maybe having made the offer,the company is then litigation proofed?

Hmmmm an official recall is paramount to an admission of fault-hence litigation liability.I'd imagine Remington want to avoid that-but have the tricky issue that the Walker potential fault has been known since the design went into production...though some case might be made that failure results from improper maintenance etc...

WE just don't know how many claims Remington have settled out of court etc,with a confidentiality clause..but it is also worth bearing in mind the very few manufacturing companies are genuinely Six Sigma -meaning a failure rate of no more than 3.4 units per million. That would be just under 30 Remington trigger faults ....in just under 8 million rifles. How does that compare to successful litigation...we don't know. (I'm not saying Rem triggers are 6 Sigma,just that some failures are to be expected in any mass manufacture even to 6Sigma standard). There are some serious,and fatal incidents-though how someone gets shot with a muzzle pointed safely seems to go beyond mechanical failure...

We might also wonder about other makes...unknown,essentially.

There is of course the option of a third party upgrade- (all seven sigma safe ?)- which might be for many a better trigger anyhow...at a price.....seems a little unlikely the (cheap?) Rem replacement will be 6Sigma safe...and it will be many years before evidence accumulates either way,with muzzles pointed miscellaneously....

Yes,I do have Rem

gbal

It's interesting. These trigger lawsuits have been rumbling along for years. The shooting community have usually dismissed them as ambulance chasing. However what is interesting about this one is that they managed to dig up the design engineer's original notes and correspondence from decades back, warning of the potential fault. Pretty much a smoking gun, which is no doubt why Remington reached a settlement.

Archived