Thermal imagers

dylan5588

In the market for a thermal imager. For my needs i have narrowed it down to either the Guide ir 510 or the Pulsar quantum hd 38s. Is the Pulsar worth the almost extra £1000 Both have same sensor specs, but the guide has a higher 50hz refresh rate. Any feedback would be welcome before i commit myself.

Adrian

If you were interested in a thermal scope I may have something.

I have had my pm priveledges withdrawn on here for some reason so please contact me on abolter30.06@gmail.com

It is a thermal spotter i am after, Not a thermal scope, but many thanks anyway,

Adrian

I use the guide 510 and it is splendid. We find it can see deer at far greater range then quoted, and speeds scanning a hillside from minutes to seconds. I have friends who have far more expensive models, and even they agree that it is a fantastic unit. A number of pro guide pals were very cynical about using thermals, till they tried it, and then i could not get it back off them!

All thermals take a little time to learn to read. For example, try to get as little sky into the image, it really brightens the view, and an animal can go from invisible to bright by missing as much sky as possible. Use a scope window mount and its fast refresh rate allows us to drive at a reasonable speed through one of our estates and see what is in the forest, we link it to the car radios dvd screen so all can see it., even our argo has a cheap ebay screen in it now!

When shooting rabbits, it really shows them well, out to a couple of hundred meters and more. It does however cause some confusion, as shot rabbits look like live ones and the entrance to burrows, often glow like a rabbit if the ground is cold. I find it works best in the mornings, as by the evening every hot rock looks like a deer lying down.

We have used it to follow up shot deer, just for practice so far, but it really shows a blood really well, and if / when the need arises i am sure it will work fine. Basically very happy with it!

Ditto to the above. I run one of the entry level FLIR scopes and for what I do it is fantastic for a very reasonable price. I can identify heat sources from rabbits out to 250 yards, foxes to around 350, roe out to 450. The other morning I had the unit on the hill and identified three red deer in woodland from 750 yards away that we otherwise would have missed. If they were out in the open rather than partially obscured then I'm sure a longer distance would have been possible. I particularly like the red hot feature that the FLIR and guide seem to have but the HD38s doesnt have. I dont spot from a moving vehicle so dont find a slow 9hz refresh rate to be a huge problem at all.

Given the pricing of the FLIR Scout PS32 (£2394 9hz and 320x240 sensor) against the new Guide IR510 (£2199.95 50hz and 384x288 sensor) the Guide offers a much more attractive purchase.

Side by side they are virtually the same size and shape, its obvious Guide had ideas of that market sector they wished to conquer. The market for a thermal with a detection range up to 400m is dominated by this new Guide, where the Pulsar Quantums offer better performance, the Guide IR510 is usually "enough" for what most foxers need i.e to scan a large area for a heat source, particularly in many scenarios where traditional night vision is useless, then use NV riflescope to identity.

In the field the difference is immense with no perceivable lag with the IR510 and a clean image with 2x and 4x digital zoom, and the same benefit of Flir's "Instalert" offering three levels of red hot detection.

The red detection mode is great for picking up animals in cover, or for tracking a blood trail, however white and black hot does provide much better detection clarity.

My only criticism is the 4x digital zoom is pretty pointless as breaks up the image too much to be useful.

Check out the You Tube video by Field Sports Channel using the Guide IR510

Best Regards

Paul

Archived