Although no longer made, this is arguably the best hunting telescope ever produced. The current generation of hunting/spotting scopes use only lenses rather than incorporating mirrors, making them considerably longer and heavier (but cheaper to make). Perhaps the best current example is the Zeiss Dialyt spotting scope and, by comparison, this reflecting telescope is significantly lighter - 900g versus 1200g - as well as being considerably shorter - 22cm versus 40cm. The compact size and relatively light weight of the reflecting telescope means that it can be carried easily in the cargo pocket of a jacket or kept in the central cubby box of a Land Rover or the glove compartment of a car. The image is as crisp and clear as you would expect from Zeiss and smooth, precise focussing is achieved simply by turning the knurled ring that can be seen in front of the eyepiece.

The one I have for sale is in excellent condition and was the subject of a comprehensive service by Zeiss at the end of August. The service cost a small fortune (£350) but Zeiss assured me that, optically & mechanically, it would be essentially as good as new as a result - and that it would also be under warranty for six months.

£600 would secure (but it is being offered for sale elsewhere); inspection prior to purchase welcome (Oundle or Oxford); happy to answer any questions

post-13588-0-30294300-1417368039_thumb.jpg

post-13588-0-61482500-1417368040_thumb.jpg

post-13588-0-90384500-1417368041_thumb.jpg

post-13588-0-40001500-1417368043_thumb.jpg

For clarity, in case it's relevant to others, the length of the scope is fixed at 22cm (9") - it doesn't have to be extended. In general, spotting scopes need to be long in order to allow the image to be brought to a focus but, in this one, the light is bounced back and forth between two mirrors so the required length is acheived by (re-) using the length of the body three times, which is why it can be so compact.

Please PM me with your email address if anyone wants higher res. photos.

• 1 month later...

Archived