Re barrel 243Ai to 6Br

dogfox

Hi

I have just had my remington action rebarreled from 243Ai to a 6Br.It has had a pacnor prefit barrel fitted with a 1in 10 twist. I have just worked up a load for a 80grain Berger bullet using Vit N135. I have got to say that I am a happy chap as the rifle is shooting little ragged holes at a 100 yards.

I have a long barrel pistol in 6br and that shoots very good aswell and a 22br in a cooper rifle. The parent case is a good accurate case.

I will send in some photos of the rifle group when I can get a camera. I am looking forward to seening what it shoots like out to 300 yards and trying it out on some varmints.

I will in the future be looking at a new stock for it.I like the thumb hole Mc Millan stock and the wilddog stocks aswell. It is like being a kid in a sweet shop. :) .

dogfox

I have just started a project rifle converting a Tikka 590 22/250 and having a 6mm Pacnor match barrel put onit in 6mmBr, would love to know what twist you have as the mine is in 1-8 so I can throw the big bombs if I need and can shoot an 87Vmax with ease.

I had the oppotunity to shoot a 6mmbr a couple of weeks ago and was so impressed that I just had to have one :)

Would love to see some pics dogfox cheers Andy

Hi nemasis243

The Pistol has a 1 in 13 twist and shoots 65 grain bullets in nice 1\2 inch groups when I do my part.I have tried 70grain and 75 grain bullets but I could not get them to shoot as good as the 65 grain bullets.

The rifle has a 1in 10 twist and it shoots the 80grain bullets really sweet. I have not tried any other bullets out at the moment as this seems to shoot ok and will great for the roe deer and some long range varmints.

The 1 in 8 twist will be ideal for the heavy bullets. All the 6br I have seen shoot well. My friend has just had a pacnor barrel put on a remington action with a 1 in 10 twist and that is shooting the 77 grain bullets well.

I went out yesterday evening and shot a magpie at 145 metres :) but I missed a crow at 180 metres :) . I then found myself a nice rock at 300 metres and shot at that off the bonnet of the truck. I was getting some nice groups off it and if it had been a rabbit it was in some kind of danger.

I just need the weather to get better and then I can go and play at 300 metres plus.

Dogfox

Guest varmartin

I had my .243 rem 700 VLS re barrelled to 6mm BR Norma 269 tight neck and never looked back :)

It has shot some very small groups, but to be honest with the type of load I put together (ie varminting not benchrest ) it averages in the 0.3-- 0.4 MOA. some I know shoot in the 0.1--0.2 MOA with ease.

Where my rifle shines is at long range as it has a 1~8 twist and my favorite load is 31.5 grains of varget over a 95 grain Berger VLD bullet.

It also shoots a 75 Vmax with stunning results on varmints.

this group was shot at 565 yards in a 3-5 mph wind....95 Berger VLD`s.

resizewizard1gbj8.jpg

Varmartin

That is a very good group.It is a shame about that wind.I went out yesterday afternoon with a mate and shot at 300 metres and it was amazing how a slight breeze would open up the groups.

Dogfox

Guest varmartin

Hi Dogfox.....

Not shot any groups like that for a while because it is so much fun shooting fur instead at those distances. :blink:

Went out with Silent last night and we both had hits at long range, it would have been a very good evening for group shooting as there was not a breath of wind....maybe next time :lol:

I often wonder how we would all get on if we actually put out some wind flags between muzzle and target ???

Archived