my ppc

huntsman

Went out this morning for a bit of practice and load development and I am very pleased with the results. Initially started off with 26gr of vit 133 and berger varmint /target 68gr hp. I increased the charge by .5gr up to 28 gr, I made 3 of each weight . I only have the factory sako usa cases, so I am a bit limited with the capacity. I also tried 3x 27gr h335 and got my first one hole group.

The vit 133 27gr and 27.5 didn't work out too well.

But these are the 26.5 gr and 28gr vit133

IMG_0350.jpg

and the H335

IMG_0349.jpg

Finally the trg22 167gr lapua factory ammo

IMG_0352.jpg

and Munster beat Saracens, and made it into the final of the Heineken Cup.

All in all a good day.

Dave

They look pretty good, Lapua 220 Russian cases will only give you another grain or so of capacity with N133 but they should I am told be good for 30 reloads. Most of mine have had between 6 and 8 reloads and I have not lost one yet even though I am running heavier loads. The 65 grain Vmax is an excellent foxing pill if you are on a 1 in 14 twist, some here use the 58 grain but I also use the 68 grain match in difficult circumstances (rape stubble for example) as they are less likely to fly apart if they hit something before arriving at Charlies front door. Points of impact are to all intents the same out to 250 yards or so using the same powder load.

A

Hi mate,

Firstly can i say that your loads are a bit light??? My foxing round is 28.5g of vit 133 with a65g ballistic tip,,, Awesome on foxes :huh:

My target load at the moment is 26.6g of vit 130

06-08-07_1232.jpg

Smallest group

This next group is with 65g b/tips when the gun was new,,,

26-04-07_1950.jpg

58g b/tips running at 3,450 with 29.5 grains of 133

11-03-07_1311.jpg

And foxes well lets just say"Fantastic"15-05-06_2220.jpg

I have had mine for nearly five years now and it is out foxing most nights,,,, And with nearly 5000

rounds down the barrel it will still shoot under .5,,,

If you need any help just give us a bell,,,,

All the best Darrel

PPC does normally like to be driven hard, I am using Lapua brass and running 29.5gr N133 for 3383fps. I have experimented a little and come down in stages to about 28.7 but groups have opened up. Mind you best ever group was when fireforming using 26.5gr, I only use mine for fox/rabbit/deer etc so .5moa is fine but looking at Darrels target load maybe I should try a few more at 26.5gr.

A

Hi guys!!

In my Sako i am using the 58 v-max and the load i use is .. Lapua brass ( fully prepped and neck turned ) / federal 205 match primers / 29.5 grains of Viht N133 and this averages 3500fps with half inch groups @200 being the norm!!!!

Have found this load to be exceptional out past 400yds on pests!! ;):lol:

When deer are on for hunting i use the Nosler 85 grain Solid base SP with 29.5 grains of H335 to give me 3100fps and average of 0.300 to quarter inch groups @100yds...............DSCF1418.jpgDSCF1491.jpg

I have found with the 6PPC that half inch groups @100yds are the starting point with things only getting better and thats what i love about these kind of calibers!!!

All the best...............

RAY................................................. :lol: :lol:

Hi guys!!

In my Sako i am using the 58 v-max and the load i use is .. Lapua brass ( fully prepped and neck turned ) / federal 205 match primers / 29.5 grains of Viht N133 and this averages 3500fps with half inch groups @200 being the norm!!!!

Have found this load to be exceptional out past 400yds on pests!! ;):lol:

When deer are on for the hunting i use the Nosler 85 grain Solid base SP with 29.5 grains of H335 to give me 3100fps and average of 0.300 to quarter inch groups @100yds...............DSCF1418.jpgDSCF1491.jpg

I have found with the 6PPC that half inch groups @100yds are the starting point with things only getting better and thats what i love about these kind of calibers!!!

All the best...............

RAY................................................. :lol: :lol:

Ray,

Are you running a 1 in 12 twist?, my 1 in 14 did not really like 70g grain NBTs. For deer I use Barts 68gr FBHP Match, every deer I have pointed that bullet at has dropped on the spot, in fairness that is only three to date but I would prefer to use a soft point designed for the job if I could.

I see your target indicates you use H335 as well, how do you rate it against N133. I did buy a can of H322 before I got the rifle but have never used it.

A

Ray,

Are you running a 1 in 12 twist?, my 1 in 14 did not really like 70g grain NBTs. For deer I use Barts 68gr FBHP Match, every deer I have pointed that bullet at has dropped on the spot, in fairness that is only three to date but I would prefer to use a soft point designed for the job if I could.

A

Hi Alycidon ,

Yes i Have a 1 in 12 twist on my krieger barrel on PPC!!!

If you have a look on the deer section you can read more on the performance i have had with these bullets with the PPC!!

The only bummer is they are discontinued , but i have some Hornady 87 grain sps and HPBTs to test soon!!!

Have shot fallow and roe with 80 grainers too with great results!!!

If you have the 1 in 14 twister try the hornady 70 grain SP!!! - I shot my first deer ( roebuck ) with this bullet and it performed well too!!!

If you want to know more just PM me!!!!

All the best................

RAY.............................

Archived