Just Blown Away

nemasis243

Well Guys I have done a lot of shooting over ther years but yesterday opened my eyes.

Firstly I would like to say a big thank you to 6mmBR ,I had to drop some kit off to him and he then invited me for a few hours doing some long distance varmint shooting which ended up being 6hrs that went in no time .

We set up on a spot which is right on the coast giving you shooting out to 1200+ ,after scanning the side of the banks with the old binos you could see rabbits,magpies and crows dotted about on the grassy bits in between the gorse.

The tool of the day was Dave's RPA 6mmBR /Nightforce 5x22x56 double dot ret, :P

You know when you pick something up and it feels right in your hand,well this felt as if it was part of me,(Shame He Wouldnt Let Me Keep It )

Dave opened the batting with a cold Bore shot , saying hello to a magpie at 558yrds , all I can say is the magpie didnt like it :P

Then it was my turn to have a go ,did a nice bunny at 572yrds ,from this moment my shooting world just changed ,this is something I really want to do more of :P

We had loads more shots the nearest being 480yrds,the Farmer who owns the land ,his son was with us helping us spot targets and he got himself into the 500 yrd club with a cracking shot at a bunny at 541yrds , he really made this bunny fly,well done Dan,nice bit of shooting.

I shot a bunny at 672yds the furthest I have ever shot an animal,I couldnt believe the accuracy of this little brass case throwing a 87grn bullet out :o

Dave had two shots at a rabbit at 850yrds the first went over its back about half inch the second was bang on the hieght but about three quarters of an inch to the left I could believe what I was seeing :o ,unfortunately the bunny went back into the hedge but Im sure that next time it will be 25clicks up and Bingo :lol:

I had ago at one 910 yrds but was 5inches low ,he buggerd off and didnt get another go :( ,but I will be back )

Dave has some pics he will post, but I must say a very big thankyou mate and introducing me to another world,If you anit tried it lads have ago,you will see what I mean ;) Cheers Andy :D

Thanks Andy, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and many congratulations on that fantastic 672 yard bunny ;)

This is a picture of a very pleased Andy after making the shot

DSCF0618.jpg

We were just dead lucky with the weather and the bit of wind we had was blowing straight to the target, but as always you get that magic hour before dusk where the wind drops to nothing.

This picture shows the target area of the 558 and 572 shots. Its above the cliff just to the right, you can just make out a round bail of silage for the cattle which are in the far right of the field.

DSCF0615.jpg

We had a great crew, and took it in turns to spot and shoot.

DSCF0616.jpg

Thanks guys for making a fantastic evening sport and helping me shoot 36 rounds of ammo :P

Looks like its back to the reloading bench :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Sounds and looks like you guys had the perfect evening, loads of targets, accurate rifle and good weather, had a good evening at it last night myself though the ranges were not as long as what you boys were shootin, too many bloody hills round here 450 yards is usually as far as you can go.

Hi guys,

Glad you had such a crackin time!!!!!! :o :o

Its that time of year again to engage them long range pests , amazing what results you get when you put a accurate load / rifle / data together with the necessary tools - rangefinder / windmeter ...............

I see Dave you have the donated red wind indicator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<;)

Thanks for sharing and so good to hear you had such a good time with those good rangy shots!!!!!!!! :D

All the best...............

RAY.................. :D;)

Guest varmartin

Very well done lads, its great when you get those still evenings...shame the time goes by so quick.

Some good long range shots there too, there aint many that can pull it off :huh:

Nice shooting lads and some great looking ground,like you say time flies when you are having fun,makes me want to spend some more cash and splash out on one of those long range varmint busters

Nice shooting lads and some great looking ground,like you say time flies when you are having fun,makes me want to spend some more cash and splash out on one of those long range varmint busters

Hi Foxshot, you'll be amazed what your rifle will do mate, there's nowt wrong with the .223AI.

Give it a go.

Saying that I can't fault it if you feel the need for another rifle, you can never have too many :lol:

A nice .243 AI or 6x47 Lapua ;)

Look out the vermin.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went back to that spot last night, my little furry friend was sitting out at 850 yds. I dialed in 25 MOA elevation and a bit of windage, squeezed the trigger and watched the round hit 6 inches right, I quickly bolted another round, the rabbit was still there confused I held off the 6 inches and squeezed the trigger, the round seemed to take an age to reach the target, but I was rewarded with a direct hit sending the bunny sprawling.

I was chuffed :P now only 150 yards to go to the 1000yd club :o .

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Dave...850 yard second shot on a target the size of a bunny is awesome dude :lol:

1000 yard club soon mate :P

I can see it happening when the Toyminater comes a visiting in Wales land :o

Guest varmartin

Not with his piss ass pip squeak 6ppc and 58 vmax he wont....but Im sure he would say yes to a trigger pull of your 6.5x47 :o

Great shot show off,jokes aside i was out at the weekend shooting paper and ranged some distances at the ranges you lads shoot rabbits,crows,e.t.c and i have to say it must be one hell of a buzz for you to make contact at those type of ranges

Well I went back to that spot last night, my little furry friend was sitting out at 850 yds. I dialed in 25 MOA elevation and a bit of windage, squeezed the trigger and watched the round hit 6 inches right, I quickly bolted another round, the rabbit was still there confused I held off the 6 inches and squeezed the trigger, the round seemed to take an age to reach the target, but I was rewarded with a direct hit sending the bunny sprawling.

I was chuffed :D now only 150 yards to go to the 1000yd club ;) .

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Well done on that one helluva shot buddy!!!! ;) ;)

its a total buzz when you make them long range shots - looking forward to coming up and joining in with the fun!!! :D :D

All the best...............

RAY.......................................... :D;)

Thanks lads, I'd missed this bugger twice before so I new my elevation setting, it was the wind which caught me with the first shot, the light recoil of the BR allowed me to see the strike and aim off quickly with the next shot, a gun recoiling more heavily I think I would have struggled.

That shot will stick with me forever ;)

I still can't get over the age it seemed for the bullet to arrive.

Cheers

Dave

That was just on of my old photos from that firing point. The scope in that picture is a Leupold VX111 6.5-20x50 LRT with the varmint hunters reticule.

The one I actually took the 850 yd shot with was a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS with the NP-2DD ret.

I just love that dot for precise shooting.

Cheers

Dave

That was just on of my old photos from that firing point. The scope in that picture is a Leupold VX111 6.5-20x50 LRT with the varmint hunters reticule.

The one I actually took the 850 yd shot with was a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS with the NP-2DD ret.

I just love that dot for precise shooting.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

If u can shoot a bunny @ 850 witha 22x scope i think ill change back to my 6-20 ziess & give that a go as i prefer teh turrets to the burris BD 8-32x50

job for the weekend me thinks

Andy

Yes Andy 22 mag is fine you can see the target just fine, the small dot on the NP-2DD ret helps precise aiming.

If you go for the big mag scopes it cuts your field of view down sometimes making targets hard to find.

Descent dialing turrets are a must and both the Leupold and Nightforce hold and return to zero well.

The 6-20 Ziess sounds the ticket, have a good weekends shooting.

Dave

Archived