22-250 h380 case capacity conundrum.

Offroad Gary

bear with me while you read this...

ive been playing with a new to me 22-250, been using 39.4gn h380 and 41gn h380 in norma brass, cases were full with the 41gn load, compressed by a 40gn bullet and shot well, no pressure signs. i'd used this load a few years ago and didnt remember the cases being so full, but carried on regardless.

just opened a new tub of h380 and 41gn now fills it to bottom of neck which is what, upon reflection, i recall from when i was using this calibre before. bullets shoot as the compressed load (three foxes last night will testify)

definately no error in scales (chargemaster), ive loaded my 47L loads with it befeore, in between and after and they fill as normal, and also checked calibration.

the first tub of 380 was a couple of yearss old, but well stored.

can a powder have different volume/density to this extent?? does it change with time?

never experienced it before...

The lady who cuts the kernels doesn't always work at the same speed, so some days the kernels are longer than on other days.

More seriously, there will be some variation in kernel diameter and kernel length from manufacturing batch to manufacturing batch. If the kernels are short and narrow, they will pack better.

Also your brass may not have quite the same internal volume as before depending on the brass and the resizing approach that you are taking.

What I find very annoying when something like this comes up, is that my reloading notes don't tell me enough about what I did last time to come to any conclusion.

Best regards

JCS

The lady who cuts the kernels doesn't always work at the same speed, so some days the kernels are longer than on other days.

More seriously, there will be some variation in kernel diameter and kernel length from manufacturing batch to manufacturing batch. If the kernels are short and narrow, they will pack better.

Also your brass may not have quite the same internal volume as before depending on the brass and the resizing approach that you are taking.

What I find very annoying when something like this comes up, is that my reloading notes don't tell me enough about what I did last time to come to any conclusion.

Best regards

JCS

Very ,very few of us actually record it all- yet,as German Salazar's seminal report showed,we cannot assume that the hole in some kernel cut tube powder is always uniform,and careful measurement and batching by kernel hole diameters,as

well as kernel diameter and length may pay dividends for the true analyst.

Accurate Shooter,April....can't recall the year,of hand....

I had the same thing with 380 using 55 grain sierra sp was filling cases right upto the neck and was really compressing shot fine no pressure signs etc but when compared to other loads was very pokey I'm using a varmint barrell and p8 laminate stock and recoil was heavy but still seamed ok

Archived