Range finder test - amazing accuracy.

I have a cheap "Ebay special" range finder and use it regularly in the field. I've been happy with it and because I use it with my rifles and my scope it does the job well and if it's actually accurate doesn't really matter.

However, I first thought about actual accuracy when I tried it from the 100yd benches at Bisley when shooting my .22 rifle. I found I was shooting a couple of inches lower than expected and when I tried the range finder it showed 109 yards. Now you would think a fixed 100 yards bench at our national shooting centre would be about right - but no, it really is about 109 yards.

So, here's a little trick I've just tried.

From my window here I can see a clock tower. I tried my range finder and it indicates 402 yards.

I then went to Google maps and zoomed in on "Satellite" view so I could see my house and the clock tower. If you right click you will find you can measure the distance. Google maps say 368.38 metres. That converts to 402.8 yards.

So for a £100 range finder I'm well pleased.

109 yards is 99.6696 metres, so I guess the 100 yard benches at Bisley are perhaps 100 metres.

I have a Bresser rangefinder bought from Lidl for around sixty quid - I've tried it out on known distances out to 600 yards and beyond, it's always within a yard or two out to 600+ and still pretty accurate of reflective targets out beyond 1,000yds, but on a deer or similar I wouldn't trust it beyond 600yds/m.

You pays your money and gets what you pay for, but I'm perfectly happy with my Bresser Rangefinder.

I've also compared it side-by-side to Burris, Leupold, Swarovski and Leica with favourable results, all within a yard/metre or two of each other, but not tested against on of the expensive jobbies.

On our range, each firing point is marked with three distances:

• The "official" range.
  • The actual range in yards
  • The actual range in metres
Thus ... ...

• 200 yds = 194m/212yds
  • 300 yds - 301m/329yds
  • 500 yds = 409m/447yds
  • 600 yds = 561m/613yds

Archived