I normally shoot out to 200ish yds with my .223 69grn HPBT Sierra Match King loaded with 24 grn V.N140 zeroed at 100 but I will be going out to 300 and 600 in a couple of weeks time at a range, could you advise me of the hold over to get me on target (figure11) at the longer ranges I know there are many variables but I would really appreciate a rough starting point.Just so I don't look a complete fool

Cheers

As long as you know your velocity, or roughly what it is, you can plug your data into a ballistics calculator to work out your 'come ups'.

This one is very good and it's free!

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.1.cgi

Thanks if I put the right data in it comes out @

600 yds = 98.3 inches Crikey didn't think it would be that much

That sounds about right. That bullet can shoot well out to 600, the biggest problem will be the wind which can blow them about pretty badly at that range.

If your scope can do it easily, you will be better off dialling the correction rather than trying to hold over.

Nick,here are som ball park figures-fig 11 is quite big (48x18 ish inches,so some latitude-300 should be relatively easy,600 well doable.)

223,69SBTHP BC .3,assuming vel about 2900/3000 muzzle fps (100 fps is only an inch or two):

drop/drift (inches,10 mph wind) 300 8/10 600 92/50 with 200 zero

A 100 zero will become a 200 zero if you click up about 1.8 inches from your 100 zero.( 1.8 high at 100 is zero at 200); so you need to either set zero for 200 and use the above figures ( 8/10 and 92/50),or leave your scope zeroed at 100,and add on two inches ie 10/12 and 94/52 inches elevation-probably easier to just dial in the latter 10/12 and 94/52. (or if you shoot 300,adjust 10/12 then an extra 84/40 when you move to 600.Windage pro rata on actual conditions on the day,of course-5mph half the inches.20 mph,double and cross fingers.

Can't give clicks /moa etc-depends on your scope .

Clearly, you could just hold on the head for 300,for solid hit (wind remember is more variable- edge of fig11 would do). 600 needs more attention...(8 feet/4feet is beyond hold off,really- two fig 11s and one fig 11 -you might just have mil dots/similar that are close enough to use that,at least for a somewhere hit-ie drop an electronic one).

Enjoy!

gbal

ps spelling does not come into it,just simple arithmetic.Let's clear that up!

Good idea to check with (almost) any ballistic program,as suggested to get in ball park/put man down.

I shoot a .223 70gr VLD through a 26" 1in9 barrel. I also use 24gr of powder. (A different one to you) I come out with 2950f/s... Our bullet BC's will be different too, but I adjust 3.5 MOA @ 300 and 13.25 MOA @ 600.

Archived