Nightforce NP-1RR, thoughts?

JDBenelliM1

On my quest for a scope to sit on top of my .308 I have been offered a NXS with NP-1RR ret, doing a bit of research on the web I've not found a great deal about it.

It would be mainly used for 500 - 600m targets and crows from 200-600m.

Obviously there are alot of reticles to choose from but this scope is the mag I want, is in very good condition and the price isn't bad- just not sure on this ret.

Any thoughts from people who have used the NP-1RR and know whether it would be useful (or hard work) for my intended use would be great

Cheers

John

JCS' advice is very sound.Scope satisfaction has a fair personal subjective component-you need to try it under realistic use conditions to see-lierally-if you like it.

That said,I have some NF RR1 scopes in 12-42,and like them.They were/are one of the top choices for long range target shooting (BR & F class)-out to 1000y.Outstanding mechanics-among the very best-dial very reliably.Fine but useable central cross hair,and 3 or 4 other reference dot/cross hairs.(the lower ascending size circles allow some ranging,and can be recalibrated to whatever target size you wish,including crows etc-never used it much,use a laser and dial.

The fine cross hairs might get harder to see in very poor light,though it might be an illuminating model,or reducing mag helps-you just trade that off against a superb precision target aiming mark.

For target use,just superb-perfect main reticule,near perfect mechanicals.Gives great confidence on small targets of any sort-whether that confidence remains justified is down to factors other than the scope!

Hope this helps-but it's try and see

gbal

Thanks for the input gents,

JCS,

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a NF and as I live in the lake district (Cumbria) there aren't any NF retailers that have a reasonable stock of scopes to look through. Low mill ranges is the closest and they only have a MLR in. It's a good job there aren't any good gun shops nearby as I would spend my days looking at rifles and gear and be broke! It may be worth having a trip down country in the near future to look at scopes but work and two very young children make time rare.

Gbal,

Its the 12-42 I'm thinking of getting. I went out today using a my 6-24 and I kept thinking how nice it would be to have x42! I also use a LRF but I often get a shot at a crow walking to my range and it would be nice not to have to get the LRF out to take a quick shot. I like the idea of a fine cross hair and dot on the same ret as I would be able to use whichever my eye likes best. I doubt it would ever be used in low light as my .243 and Zeiss will take that duty. My only concern is there is no vertical line to work shots too or from. I am used to mil dot rets. The NPR1/2 was my first choice but not had much luck tracking one down.

Thanks again

John

The MOAR reticule was the best decision I ever made!

I've just ordered an ATACR with the MOAR-T reticule. (It's just a bit finer!) You're welcome if you ever want to meet up and have a spy through mine!

Jay

John,the NPR1 ha a vertical wi cross hatch all the way up and down-I have an 8-32,but it's on a 1000y rifle,and I have not used it in any other way.

I also have a couple of NF with mil dot-great for relatively coarse targets,and fairly fast acquisition.

But the NPRR s remain my favourites,in 8-42.A few people might not take to high mag at first,and I have no problem with 5-25 leuplods,either mil dot,or the nice varmint reticule with a couple of other cross hairs,for 224 class varminters out to 3/400 yards.But the big NF is a joy-once you use the sheer precision of the aiming mark dot/cross hair and the clarity of high mag,most I think will like it.

There are other dots and two more small cross hairs below the main central one,though no continuous vertical line-never been an issue for me (I don't use the range finding option,but it could be calibrated to anything you wish.) If you want a closer look at the reticules NightForce reticules RR have illustrations-it's better in reality. A great used buy,they are really well made,and lifetime warranty. Heavy,yes. A few say they are not so bright-well,I shoot with tinted safety glasses,and the NF is plenty bright for me-almost any conditions,any mag.If it is not the best optically-whatever that means-it is just about the best in dialling reliably-far more important for me. I believe the ATACR/BEAST have 'better' glass,but then much higher price too. Side focus would be nice-mine are all BR models,but beyond 4/500 yards,focus is pretty good without adjusting,and beyond that it's pretty well infinity all the way....I would be very reluctant to buy expensive new,as the differences/advantages would be relatively small-if any. i would say it's a bit wasted on a 250y cary rifle-I prefer the lighter Leupolds for that (with varmint reticule). For real precision at longer ranges,the big NF is a top choice- almost any cross hair on a crow will do,but if you want to see the last glint in his eye,and place your bullets with which feather precision,it will be clear what my choice is.

But you have to like it-there are some excellent scope reviews on the net-even the £2000+ have some 'faults'-and many users have only had the pleasure of their scope,like a 6-24.There was a time when I thought that was great-and it's still pretty good,but a 8-42 class act is a whole new ball game,as distance increases.

gbal

Archived