Out of retirement

craigyboy

As some may know from previous posts on this forum I generally dont shoot foxes at this time of year, not that I am soft but just I prefer not too. This week however a guy at work was giving off that he was losing lambs to foxes, a total of 8 so far and one was 3 weeks old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So I said I would take a look as the foxes sounded like they were outta control badly, turns out the land is usually shot by a guy in the same club as me but due to having cataracts he has been unable to shoot the ground so he was happy for me to take it over. I took 4 foxes on this ground this week, no surprise they were all dogs, all the vixens are still holed up underground with the cubs, didnt get any pics as the landowner came with me when I shot them and I think he would have thought it a bit strange :P. The land I shot these foxes on is really good, way up on high ground in the mountains I can easily shoot out to 600 yards and loads of good backstops though sadly rabbits are few and far between but still plenty of foxes and crows about.

I also had to deal with a fox a bit closer to home today. We keep a few hen bantams just to have nice fresh eggs and the other week we decided why not get a rooster again we had them before but they always brought foxes around and got killed, probably due to the fox hearing them crowing. Found the latest one dead at the bottom of the field this morning, I lock them up at nights but I usually dont count them as they go in themselves so didnt notice him missing. Anyhow on closer inspection the fox had nabbed him right below my bedroom window and trailed him down the field, the fox had only took a few bites so I knew he would be back this evening. I waited until later on the evening and got the rifle ready and sat at my bedroom window and sure enough just before dark he turned up through the fence and I was ready for him, one 40g v-max to the neck for him only about 80 yards away and I didnt even have to leave my bedroom, doesnt get much handier than that :) I had tied the rooster to the fence so I had a bit more time for a shot but I didnt really need it. Of course it was another dog fox, a resonable size one at that and in great condition. Heres a pic

DigitalCamera117.jpg

Good work craig it really does not get any handier than that!I have the same problem at the minute a mate of mine has a duck pond that is being hammered by foxy problem is the mate had a blast at him with the shotgun and missed so now when i try the lamp he high tails it straight away,some nightvision would come in useful just at the minute.

Have you heard anymore about BK?Our last day was cancelled due to cost issues according to our sec?

That looks like a cracking wee jack russell,just got one myself and hope to get onto the rats when hes a bit older,would your one tackle a rat?

Did i read you had a new rifle on the way,what are you going for?

Thanks lads. Martin I have a load of "fox" t-shirts for downhill riding just happened to be wearing one today in that photo.

William those shy foxes are a pain in the ass, I used to have NV for ratting but sold it, lost count of the times I have regretted it handy tool. The jack russ will easily tackle a rat I have 2 and the older one is a pure rat killer and also good at rabbits it will even tackle a fox if I let it but I would be afraid of it getting hurt. I was just at BK last week our club seems to be getting days fine though a lot of other clubs are struggling to get them, we even had 2 guys try and sneak on the end of our line last month, it does seem things are looking bad for club use at BK but hopefully it will get sorted. I havent heard mention of costs getting any higher but more that they are unwilling to let as many days out for club use. My club is lucky as our chairman works in BK so gets days booked easily. If you werent so far away you could join my club but that would mean shooting at out indoor rimfire range every monday night which would be a bit of travelling for you. I have a 22-250 on the way, dont know why I got one just wanted another varmint rifle to play with, I have got it put on for raneg use but also trying to get it to use alongside mt tac20 as a vermin gun by saying that it will be permantly rigged with NV setuo and its too much hassle to change over all the time :P

Well done pard, I sit here reading about all you guys out shooting all the time and I am stuck at home with no transport at the moment and have been now for over 2 weeks :huh: Who know it that my son is a machanic, funny how they know were we are when they want something but are alway to busy to help when we want help, Kids, Who'd have em'?? Anyway it's good to see you are doing a good job even though you like me don't really want to shoot foxes this time of the year, sometimes needs must. The nice white trainers won't stay like that for long if you cross to many fields pard :huh:;)

Hi Craig

Sorry to hear about the rooster mate :( shooting from the bedroom, it reminds me of the shoot captain's old man who lives in the middle of our shoot ground, he puts out a rabbit in his back garden with a piece of string tied around it running up to his bedroom to a bell on the floor. When the bell goes in the middle of the night , well you can guess the rest :huh: He accounts for around 15-20 a year this way

He told me that he learn't the hard way on the first one, as when charlie pulled the rabbit the bell went flying up and through the glass, next time he tied it to the chest of drawers leg but he was still proud to say that he still shot the fox :huh:;) He says they prefer it when its rotten, more smell I suppose,

I do hope you were still wearing the camo's in the bedroom !!! :(:P

What make have you went for in 22-250?Did you get it from moy?

The mate and i went down a couple of weeks ago to get more powder and primers and i said to ivor any chance of a look at a couple of rifles,crack on he says and ushered us toward the safe.We were like kids in a sweet shop!Spent an hour looking at rifles and shotguns with ivor popping in and out to yarn to us.

The mate ended up buying a sauer 6.5x55 for stalking and i was sorely tempted by a remmy 700 in .308,but would have to get the BK situation sorted first.Ivor was very helpfull and i would not hesitate to buy from him in the future,makes a change to find someone like that!

Charlyhunter ya need to get the son around and get transport sorted, you cant be missing out on all the good hunting thats out there at the moment. My trainers never stay white for long, my wellies are always at the door but I usually just walk right past them especially when the ground is nice and dry, its a nice to get outta the wellies.

Stevie that is a brilliant trick your shoot captains old man is up too, I will definatley be trying that one. I used to bait and shoot out my bedroom window years ago but got sick of waiting up all night never thought of putting a bell on it, great idea!!!!!!!! Sorry to disapoint but I didnt have the time to slip into the camo, I know its mandatory that you cant shoot animals without camo on but my women would have thought I had really gone crazy (she thinks I am nuts as it is, running the fields to 4am in hot pursuit of old ginger)

Dave I will be doing alot more of the lazy shooting, the fields behind me are barley this year, imagine those summer nights when its stubble, crows pigeons and foxes, it will be carnage and ill be sitting in the middle of it. I can shoot right out to 300 yards safely from my room. :)

William I got it from "Young Guns" in Castledawson near Magherafelt. Its only a small shop and only opens nights but he is a good guy and gets anything in you want. The thing I like about him is he is a rifle nut himself, some nights you walk in and hes loading ammo for himself, thats what I like to see!!!!!!!! you wanna see the stock he has of good kit as well. I went for a Rem700 VSF not planning on keeping it standard for long but I will have some fun with it before I start messing with it. Ivor up in Moy is a good guy easy to deal with and the only man for VHIT powders, there arnt many shops that let you into the back now tannyoky used to let you in for a gander but stopped it recently for some reason. Good shops are thin in the ground here arnt they.

Archived