Well after wasting an inordinate amount of ammo trying to figure out why my AICS .300WM had a wandering POI, checking the moderator, swapping the scope, rings, refitting the rail, checking the throat (or whats left of it!) and ordering a new barrel.....I finally resorted to taking the wretched can off....fitted the muzzle brake .......and lo and behold.....problem solved....POI repeatable.!!!!

Put the can back on and when I figured out where it was hitting the target and adjusted accordingly, it stayed there for two shots then off it went a-wandering again. Checked to make sure it wasnt working loose....nope...still secure......

Took can off.....gave it a good shake...nothing! Took off bush and checked....nothing....screwed back on with finger pressure with and without bush....nothing....No obvious signs of movement or wear but all is not well in the Kingdom of T8.

Ok...I know, I know....I should have checked it before I stripped the whole rifle down and blamed everyone and everything from dodgy powder, bent bullet heads, knackered bolt, burnt out throat, worn rifling, too dirty barrel, too clean barrel, delirium tremens,earth tremors, the coriolis effect etc etc and bearing in mind the can has seen upwards of 1200 150gr+ lumps of lead screaming through at 3250fps.....

My feeling is the internal forward fixing point is deteriorating and whilst not itself loose enough to give any audible indication something is "moving" as the can heats up causing a shift in the POI...

Anyone else had this issue with a T8 ? What in people's opinion is the "lifespan" of a T8?

Anyway.....Off to the shops for a ASE Ultra me thinks!

DT

If you contact Jackson rifles, their guarantee is a new model for 60% of the current price. I would ask if they would let you put it to a different mod. Their aftersales service is exemplary, and they will do all they can to help you. Give them a try.

I availed myself of jacksons offer with my T8 , was delighted with the new mod and service right up until I shot it ! it turned my 1/2" gun into a 36" gun ! turns out the mod was not welded straight (manufacturing mistakes happen) and the bullets were fouling the baffles (visible with the naked eye) this is when the problems started.

I was reluctant to ship my whole rifle up to jacksons for an obvious and simple to fix problem , I was reluctant to use a chainsaw file to file the baffles out of the way (yes he did actually recommend that!) I did not like being lectured about welding and heat distortion (I'm a coded welder) all I wanted was a new mod shipping out in exchange for the old one ? not an unreasonable request in my opinion?

anyway , I don't know if he ever did stick his mod where I eventually recommended (doubt it but I'd be willing to assist !) and eventually he returned my money , no note , no apology , nothing ?

I have never since and never will spend another penny of my money with jacksons (to my detriment because he has good kit) but a man has nothing if not his principles and honour.

saying that though he does still do great kit and I see he's regularly recommended as great service so I guess my experience was isolated ? however once I've spat the dummy (which takes a bit of doing) it stays spat!

Nope ! He put the phone down on me like a petulant child ! But it's fine , I'm over it now , just wish I could get rid of this totally unrelated twitch !

Funny you should say that...

I've just had a "conversation" with said gentleman....Obviously doesn't major on the soft skills of human interaction...The phrase "talk at " rather than "with you" springs to mind.

I must admit I had a wry smile on my face during the phone call as I recalled your post!

I can see how the Chief Inspector Dreyfus twitch develops now..... :lol:

Archived