The cost of re-blueing a single 12 bore barrel??

Jamie

Hi folks,

I'm after an idea of how much it would cost to re-blue a semi-auto barrel that's in good condition, bar the blueing having worn off over time.

Also, does DIY cold or holt blueing generally come out ok?

Cheers

Jamie

I've had quite good results using G96, preparation as usual is the make or break of it, and you have to submerge the barrel rather than wipe it on. I made my blueing bath from a cut off of plastic waste pipe with the top sawn off and the ends plugged. If its a knock about gun it might be better to spray it black satin or even send off for cerakote or similar tratment

I've had quite good results using G96, preparation as usual is the make or break of it, and you have to submerge the barrel rather than wipe it on. I made my blueing bath from a cut off of plastic waste pipe with the top sawn off and the ends plugged. If its a knock about gun it might be better to spray it black satin or even send off for cerakote or similar treatment

Cheers AK,

Good idea ref the pipe.

Never heard of G96, i'll have to have a mooch of Google.

What are your thoughts on the Birchwood Casey "Perma-Blue" cold blueing kits?

Cheers

Jamie

Cheers AK,

Good idea ref the pipe.

Never heard of G96, i'll have to have a mooch of Google.

What are your thoughts on the Birchwood Casey "Perma-Blue" cold blueing kits?

Cheers

Jamie

Save your money. They do work, but the results are definitely a long way from being permanent.

I know that a professional reblue on an air rifle is around the £80 mark, so I would guesstimate that a shotgun barrel would be somewhere in that region. The best thing would be to phone as many RFD/service shops etc as possible and get some rough quotes.

Cheers folks, much appreciated. :)

Archived