Advice needed for a variation issue.

Jamie

Hi folks,

I'm after some constructive advice regarding a possible variation in relation to reloading my .223.

I'm limited to possess 300 complete rounds and buy 200 complete rounds, Which i'm quite happy with.

However, this limits me to only being able to buy 200 "Vermin/Hunting" projectiles at one time, which is a pain.

I'd like to be able to buy 500 at one time. Mainly due to the distance I have to travel to get them in the first place. Secondly, the limited stock of what is available in the brand and weight of my choice, it makes sense to buy in a greater number.

And lastly, I often use my hunting rounds for target practice and load development, and I can get through 1 box of 100 in that task alone! Is it a reasonable request to ask for the increase to 500?? Or would I be likely to be told that I should just buy target projectiles instead??

I'm not really sure how to word it to be honest...

Cheers

Jamie

If you sent them a letter basically saying most of what you have written you should have no real problem. Reloading should allow you the scope you need. Add in the arguement that sometimes "ingredients" arent available and then you have to try 3 or 4 types to get one that works and generally they are only available in 100s and you should be fine in my opinion

my shooting buddy had this same problem,he told firearms dept that we travelled a fair distance for bullets.their response was distance travelled was not a good enough reason to up his amount

My force (Police Scotland) no longer applies maximum number to be purchased, there is simply an upper limit for possession.

In my case I have:

• 1,000 .308;
  • 500 .243;
  • 500 7.5x55;
  • 500 .222;
  • 500 .223 and
  • 1,000 .22RF.
As long as you can justify the higher number as you have suggested, you shouldn't have any problem.

I used several reasons:

• Uniformity of batches.
  • Building up ammo stock for the competition season.
  • Difficulty in obtaining close by.
  • Bulk purchase for price.

"Economies of scale" is listed as one of the invalid reasons to have a larger quantity.

Unfortunately most dealers don't list the S5 bullets on the ammunition table. If they did then by filling up the table you could argue that as you are using a larger quantity of the bullets/ammo and keep needing the get the FAC re-issued as the ammo table is full, a larger quantity is justified.

I would certainly go for target bullets for your target/range work as there are no limits to the amount of bullets you can buy, just don't load them until you have sufficient 'space' available in your cabinet.

Archived