do i need a picatinny rail

nearly there

Hi guys ive just got a 308 tactical and now looking at scopes.the rifle comes with a two piece mount system,best way i can describe it.should i buy a one piece picatinny rail system or is it ok to mount it to the factory standard one on the rifle.thanks

Hi guys ive just got a 308 tactical and now looking at scopes.the rifle comes with a two piece mount system,best way i can describe it.should i buy a one piece picatinny rail system or is it ok to mount it to the factory standard one on the rifle.thanks

Leaving aside 'tacticool' or aesthetics, a great many scopes have worked well with standard mounts("factory"-though ruger are one of the few to have supplied ring/bases withrifles).Try yours and see (literally!)

The major functional advantage of a picatinny rail is that if it is tapered you can have inbuilt MOA (10,20 eg) on the tapered rail which may allow dialling in to much longer ranges,though it might slightly hinder access to top loading-not an isue for a mag fed rifle.Some mounting systems neeed a rail,of course-by design,and a rail has some advantages in offereing more adjustment for scope position/eye relief etc.Only tactical rifles seem to 'need' this extra,sometimes considerable,expenditure,most long range rifles will want the extra elevation,though.

Gbal

I have struggled with mounting scopes for 40 years. A picatinny rail doesn't solve every problem, but it's an excellent foundation. I've now got rails on most of my rifles and it makes changing scopes around much easier.

[the rifle in the url below comes with a 0 MOA rail fitted and a spare 20 MOA rail.]

Regards

JCS

Hi guys thanks for your replies.i dont know if it makes a diffrence but its atactical model rifle so i assumed it would be ok to fit straight on without a extra rail.also its not magazine fed so i was/am concerned about loading/ejecting problems if i got a one piece

Yes oh my god yes , if it's a tacticool rifle you will be laughed off the range unless it has a picatinney rail , you also need a full length rail at 12/3/6 and 9 o'clock instead of a proper forend !

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

OK,it's the 700LTR model,a good entry level rifle,basically a lighter-HPS stock-version of the popular with US law enforcement P model,heavy varmint (fluted?) 20" barrel.If it's a new one with 40x trigger,so much the better-though the older x mark is ok,if less crisp.

Despite ir's name,it really isn't a clear tactical rifle-but what does tactical/tacticool really mean,anyhow?

It should shoot good ammo well under 1moa,and 1/2 inch at 100y would be no surprise,with a decent scope etc.

As you say you don't want tac specs anyhow,then no need for a rail-basic scope mounts will be fine,as you will be top loading the non det mag,I'd avoid cluttering the action ,and get two piece mounts,like leupold etc,maybe you already have such?and with a 20" barrel in 308,you won't really be shooting much at 1000y-think more 750 max,so won't need huge elevation-decent mid range scope should be adequate-best to check of course-you will need about 25 moa for 800,from your 100y zero...and 500y less than half that...but remember some adjustment will be taken up in zeroing.

Be prepared for some recoil-308 is not unduly punishing,but this is made as quite a light rifle,and you will feel it,accordingly.I'd want a brake or moderator,which simply makes controlled shooting easier.

Despite all the go fast,and real upgrades for 700 rifles,best keep it fairly simple,unless it turns out to be especially accurate,or you intend to keep it...basic is best,probably-but you have choices.

155 or 168 bullets should be fine-no need to get too technical...yet.Good luck with it.

gbal

Archived