What range do you guys zero your .223s at?

njc110381

I've finally got my .223 package together. Rifle, scope and mod are all fixed together at last and I'll be off out ASAP to zero it. The trouble is I only have a 50 yard range to shoot on! I'm assuming if I have the crosshairs about an inch high at 50 yards that should do the job, but if any of you have any better advice then I'd be glad to hear it. I can always do the finishing touches at the farm, but I don't want to be firing dozens of shots at a target there. Is there a rough guide for me to work to so I get it pretty much right?

Edited to say I'll be using Remington 55grn softpoints until the loading kit arrives.

Guest varmartin

If you hold a dead centre at 50 yards, you will want your bullet to land 0.3 inch low at that range, then it should be spot on at 100 yards.

Guest wireviz

Sorry mate but if you only have 50 yards in witch to zero you should have a bungee gun :rolleyes: get a catapult .You really need to test the rifle so get on your ground and get a fag packet out and shooting it at 100 plus that calibre ain't meant to be restricted to 50 yards ;) ps enjoy your new toy.

I have the ground. I just don't want to be letting off a box of rounds to get a basic zero because I may not be popular with the neighbours! I'm lucky to be a member of an approved range that lets its members open up and shoot whenever they want to apart from xmas day and easter. The trouble is, its longest range is 50 yards (I think it was set up as a pistol club). If I can get somewhere close to zero there, then I will only need to fire half a dozen shots at the farm to get it fine tuned. That way I keep the local public relations good, which is important for our sport IMO ;)

Thanks for the info Varmartin <_<

If you hold a dead centre at 50 yards, you will want your bullet to land 0.3 inch low at that range, then it should be spot on at 100 yards.

There are some other considerations to take account of; whilst 0.3" low at 50 yards might be close to being spot on at 100 yards it does not factor differences in scope height above the bore which will have an effect on the POI vs POA.

John MH

if you wanna know what I zero my guns for???? .....its so I can hit things <_<;):lol:

Love that answer!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best................

RAY........................... :D;)

Guest varmartin

John MH is spot on.....

If the velocity is 3240fps and your scope height is 1.5 inch....you want them to land 0.3 low at 50.

If the scope height is higher say 1.8 then probs 0.4 inch. nuthin in it <_<

John MH is spot on.....

If the velocity is 3240fps and your scope height is 1.5 inch....you want them to land 0.3 low at 50.

If the scope height is higher say 1.8 then probs 0.4 inch. nuthin in it ;)

Quite right, who's arguing about 0.1". <_<

The Ballistics Spreadsheet available from the Jackson Rifles Website allows you to play with various scope heights so that you can see what effect it has on POA vs POI. I've used this spreadsheet for a few years now and found it very accurate.

Ballistics Spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

I know it is a little late, but mine is zeroed for 200 yd. I have turrets on my current scope (and the replacement will have them too). If I am shooting at 100 yd, I know I am 4 clicks down, or if I don't have time I'm only 1" high. At that point, I'm fine out to 200 +/- 1" the whole way. Past that I click up and down and carry a card with me. If I need a snap shot, it will be inside of 200 anyway so I'llb e close enough. If it is further then I'll usually have time to click anyway.

Thanks

Rick

Initially I zeroed my PPC at 200 yards but in practise most of the time the turrets are set at a 140 yards dead on zero, this gives a first cross at 80 yards. So I only start thinking about things drop wise over 150 yards and below 30 yards. A .223 should shoot about the same so I would start at 140 yards and see how you go, at 50 yards this is a tad low but not much.

A

Archived