How fare have Munties and CWD spread?

Most of my deer shooting is for Roe in North Yorks. I've heard rumours of munties in North Links/Humberside but only rumours. Have these nice little BBQ candidates come this far north?

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I am fairly sure i have muntys on my ground, (north yorkshire) i have only seen their slots in soft ground though.

What i do know is they are in west yorkshire, some have been shot as close as 7 miles from my stalking ground.

Like your-self its mainly roe that i have, but some areas of the wood are very dence with a lot of bracken/bramble etc

that makes finding deer very hard at times, its only a matter of time i think.

john

Guest Steyr
Most of my deer shooting is for Roe in North Yorks. I've heard rumours of munties in North Links/Humberside but only rumours. Have these nice little BBQ candidates come this far north?

Dave

Cant help you with the northern lands but the munty population is spreading so I guess it is really just a matter of time before they appear.

I guess I am lucky in that we have a burgening population of munts though I dont shoot them .......YET !

One shoot I go to, I regularly see a buck with a good head - I think this is a a medal carrying buck.

He really isnt at all bothered by my presence even though I am holding a rifle.

The land is shot by a lot of rimmies and shotguns so I guess he has become used to the volume of hunters and the sound signatures.

Sadly, poachers got onto the land, shot 2 deer, part gralloched one and left the other rotting and poisioning a prize fish swim. The owners wife went ballistic, and as a result, nobody is allowed to lamp any more (rabbits - not deer). Rather an over-reaction as having people on your land you can trust at night is actually beneficial not a hazard.

Their migration north is likely to be just a matter of time perhaps especially now we no longer have hard winters

Thanks gents looks like they're playing hide and seek all over the place.

Cooperman, very interesting. I shoot round Thirsk, where in N Yorks do you think they are? And where have they been seen in West Yorks

Plenty of munties in Worcs!

ft

PS I went to school in Thirsk.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also curious about how fast they spread as soembody has been releasing them illegally here in Ireland (co Wicklow ) I am unsure if this is a good or bad thing alien species and all that .

But they have been spotted a few miles from where I shoot and I wonder how long it might take for them to spread.

Hi 6x55

Your in a nice part of the world. My mate was a keeper on Balley Arthur Estate.

If the Muntjac are left alone it will take a good few years to spread.If the the wood are thick with bramble and other cover they will fill them up and then start to moving out. I would leave them spread because you have no roe deer and they are not going to be any competition with the bigger deer like fallow and sika and they are good fun to stalk. It will take a good ten years for them to spread out before you have enought to shoot( I would only shoot bucks in the build up period). I know there are muntjac on the estate next to where I shoot and they have been there for about 4 years but they have not spread to use yet.

It will give more people the chance to stalk as they spread :wacko: .

dogfox

Guest martin

All Munties are shot on sight on the syndicate in the New Forest,and,I do have quite a few round here as well(Somerset/Wilts border).................Martin.

They better hurry up and travel north, a couple in south west scotland wouldnt go amiss ;) i think they would scare the locals up here tho, most old boys round me have never heard of them! hehe

Thanks gents looks like they're playing hide and seek all over the place.

Cooperman, very interesting. I shoot round Thirsk, where in N Yorks do you think they are? And where have they been seen in West Yorks

I work just outside Thirsk; I stopped the other day to take a phone call down there and saw a massive buck definately medal potentil. Good luck to you if he is on your patch. I have not seen muntjack up here though I have heard from 2 reliable sources of one beong shot by a friends dad and one being run over neer york. I guess they wont be to long before they are at thirsk. I have also heard of sightings neer scotch corner but I am sceptical, I spend a lot of time on the ground in that area and have net seen any or any signs. We still have stunning bluebell forrests as well!

Dave

I work just outside Thirsk; I stopped the other day to take a phone call down there and saw a massive buck definately medal potentil. Good luck to you if he is on your patch.

Dave

Depends where outside Thirsk. Mine is around Asenby/Dalton/Dishforth/Sessay.

methinks I'll have to do a trawl a wee bit further East.

Thanks for the info

Dave

A pal of mine has seen them in the Hull area but he says they're a bit thin on the ground yet. Shrek, be careful what you wish for mate if the little buggers got dug in on your patch they may take some movin'

I have an invite to go south for a bash at the some time in the near future, it'll be fun to try for one agian.....

• 1 month later...
Guest northernchris

There you go Marine,we have had a fair few the last several years these are just some of the better pics i have got.

StealthCam002.jpg

05092007143.jpg

18082007123.jpg

03052007058.jpg

26042007049.jpg

20042007042.jpg

13042007038.jpg

Archived